Talk

Advanced search

How would I go about finding a good siamese cat breeder?

(18 Posts)
Katymac Tue 22-Sep-09 21:11:00

My Mum & Dad want to buy a Siamese, they have had a Siamese before and we have a Siamese now

I guess a rescue is out of the question but they don't want to be scammed & want someone reliable & honest

My Siamese has had a lot of health problems & is likely to have been 'over-bred' according to our (old) vet but we aren't even terribly sure what that means

So where to look?

Joolsiam Tue 22-Sep-09 21:21:22

Try joining the cat chat site hubbellbubbell.co.uk or browse the ads on the www.catplanet.co.uk website. Sorry no links as on phone but these are both good info sites run by cat lovers. I have siamese and will help myself if you let me know where you are and what type you are looking for

Katymac Tue 22-Sep-09 21:32:40

They had a seal point (with 3 legs) & we have a chocolate tabby point

I'm not even sure they want a pure bred cat, but they really loved their old one (died about 12 yrs ago) & are very adoring affectionate towards mine

We are in Norfolk btw but my dad travels all around the country

blithedance Tue 22-Sep-09 21:33:02

Isn't there a Siamese cat club (who organise the cat shows etc)? If it were Burmese (we have them) I'd start with the Burmese Cat Club local rep who have breeder lists and know a lot of them personally. So I'd guess there is something similar.

Incidentally our cats were rehomed with us via the BCC, they do often have cats needing a home due to owners dying etc, and they often prefer a home with experience of the breed.
If they don't mind an older cat that is.

eg here

All my Burmese have been rehomed ones and they have been the most fabulous pets.

brokenangel Wed 23-Sep-09 00:01:57

I'd go for 'Rescue', poor things would love a second chance of a loving home. We have a siamese who we rescued and she's gorgeous.

Katymac Wed 23-Sep-09 07:42:22

They are quite open to what they want

I did some googling for them & there are a lot of Siamese people out there (hope we pick a good one)

Joolsiam Wed 23-Sep-09 08:49:55

Official rescue is through the Siamese Cat Club Welfare Trust ( google sccwt)

You coul also google "Applejack" and "Limited Edition" these are very good and reputable Siamese breeders in Norfolk

There are also some to avoid and I can tell you more when back from hols tonight.

You might want to try the old style siamese cat club if you prefer older style ones with rounder faces.

Never accept a kitten younger than 13 weeks with all vaccinations complete and supplied with a full pedigree and registration papers ;)

Katymac Wed 23-Sep-09 11:26:59

Thank you I will have a good look at those breeders Joolsiam

We have always (well the 2 we have had) very good natured siamese - and I am always surprised at the people who say they are bad natured (esp with children)

CarGirl Wed 23-Sep-09 11:33:12

I would recommend looking at Somali and Abyssinian (spelling) they are incredibly affectionate breeds and not too populat at the moment so not likely to be over bred IYSWIM.

The somalis in particular are reputed for ranking affection over food, ours cetainly did! Somalis are semi long haired versions of the abyssinan which again known as an affection breed.

Katymac Wed 23-Sep-09 12:54:39

We have had Siamese because of allergies - somehow the hair is different to cat fur hmm who knows why?

CarGirl Wed 23-Sep-09 17:16:42

really, perhaps I will try a siamese next! I'd heard they can be destructive mainly because they like attention and have brain I suspect!

blithedance Wed 23-Sep-09 22:08:55

Sorry Cargirl the Siamese we had when I was young liked attention but he definitely did NOT have the brain grin. Nice but dim. But then they are all different.

Tonkinese (siamese cross) are a lovely natured breed too.

butternutmum Thu 24-Sep-09 19:47:37

Try Petforum.com- there is a breeder on there called Saikou (sp?) and her cats are beautiful...

Joolsiam Thu 24-Sep-09 22:08:25

friendly, helpful and informative cat chat with lots of Siamese lovers and breeders

Really informative site with breeder listings

siamese rescue

old style siamese cat club for those who love the older look with rounder faces

Joolsiam Thu 24-Sep-09 22:09:08

friendly, helpful and informative cat chat with lots of Siamese lovers and breeders

Really informative site with breeder listings

siamese rescue

old style siamese cat club for those who love the older look with rounder faces

frumpygrumpy Thu 24-Sep-09 22:15:10

Oh wow, you've sent me back. My mum had a most gorgeous Siamese cat from when I was 3. She was just the most affectionate and loving cat. She was incredibly intelligent and very tuned in. If we ever laughed about something she did, she'd turn her back on us in a huff and when we cried (if we hurt ourselves when we were wee) she would run straight away to see what had happened and then sit on our laps and look at us with concern. She'd sit beside us until we felt better. God I miss her. My mum couldn't bear to get another Siamese as she really was one of a kind. I never understood those who said Siamese are a bit aloof and haughty. She was a seal point and truly gorgeous. She got a bit tubby after she had kitten and it just made her even more gorgeous.

Sorry to hijack!!!!

frumpygrumpy Thu 24-Sep-09 22:17:51

She was 17 or 18 when she died. She had pedigree certificates, I guess your breeder must be able to show proof of her parentage so you can avoid the 'over-bred' problem.

I think that is when they have mucked around with parentage too much, i.e. cross breeding the points instead of pure breeding......but I could be wrong.

Katymac Sat 26-Sep-09 21:24:09

They went out & got 2 3yo moggies......parents <sigh>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now