Talk

Advanced search

URGENT - TINY KITTENS WITH NO MUM -ADVICE PLEASE

(3 Posts)
jumble Tue 22-Sep-09 20:23:44

My sister is living on a tiny Greek island for the summer working for a holiday company. A cat that befriended her 6 months ago was killed by a car this morning. After hunting all day she has finally found the 3 kittens. One is very weak and will probably not make it. The other 2 are mewing for milk and she is beside herself. They were born 6th sep, so are only 2 and a half weeks old. There is no vet, very few limited shops and the greeks on the island are not huge cat fans anyway. Has anyone got any advice I can pass on to her? Are they old enough to lap milk? Please help!

beautifulgirls Tue 22-Sep-09 21:26:45

No they will need bottle or syringe feeding for now. Ideally try and get hold of a proper kitten foster milk but you could if really pushed make up a substitute that might be acceptable. If you google it you will find some recipies for it on various site - mostly based on evaporated milk I think. It really is better to track some sort of proper foster milk if you can though.
Start offering some solid foods from 4-5 weeks old and they will start to take this when they are ready and start the weaning process as and when. Biggest risks at this stage are diarrhoea and dehydration.

Take a look at this too
www.fabcats.org/owners/kittens/handrearing.html

jumble Tue 22-Sep-09 21:46:54

Thanks Beautifulgirls. I have e-mailed her the link. She has also tracked down the local 'cat lady' and things are looking brighter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now