Talk

Advanced search

Rabbits

(6 Posts)
Sexonlegs Tue 22-Sep-09 14:27:25

Hello

We have just got an allotment (finally) and we can keep rabbits or chickens there.

Dh and I are thinking that a rabbit would be great as the dd's can play with it, while he digs and I lieonthegrass-- weed.

Are rabbits ok being kept outside the whole time (it would have a house and a run). Are there any types that are better suited to being outside than others??

I am a rabbit virgin grin

Sexonlegs Tue 22-Sep-09 17:06:04

Anyone???? Please!!!

Thanks

RacingSnake Tue 22-Sep-09 17:48:47

Rabbits would be fine outside but not sure how tame they would get if alone quite a lot of the time. One rabbit on its own would not be very happy, especially if not in your home with lots of company. Chickens might be a better bet. Apparently livestock thefts from allotments are on the increase, though, so you might have to think about security.

cornsillk Tue 22-Sep-09 17:50:17

How will you make if fox/weather proof? Rabbits are very social so one alone in a hutch is cruel.

Sexonlegs Wed 23-Sep-09 09:45:25

God, the last thing I want is the poor thing to be lonely. We would get 2 then if we got them at all. Although it doesn't sound like we would be able to give them the attention they require. We can't have them at home as our 2 cats would think it was Christmas.

Thanks all- food for thought.

exchangeandmart Wed 23-Sep-09 14:48:32

Two would be fine to live outside, but you would have to get a secure hutch to protect them from foxes and in winter it would be good to consider getting a heat lamp. Have a look in the pet section at Exchange and Mart as you can buy both rabbits and pet supplies/equipment there. There are very social creatures, so even if you had them outside, I would still recommend you spend lots of time with them on a daily basis. If you could manage all that, i'm sure it would be fine, but yes you are right, not the best idea to mix them at home with the cats!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now