Talk

Advanced search

Another Q (& probably lots to follow...) where do you keep your dog's crate?

(8 Posts)
amazonianwoman Tue 22-Sep-09 11:16:36

We're getting a puppy in 3 weeks - the breeder advises that a crate is best, so have ordered one.

Is it best to keep it somewhere quiet (in large utility room) or more in the hub of the house (big kitchen)

He will need to escape from DD5 and DS2.6 and 2 cats, but I don't know if I want him to feel banished to the (more isolated) utility room?

What do you all do?

Trying to get organised and have been rearranging kitchen table/fridge/bins etc all morning deciding where it should go hmm

LittleB Tue 22-Sep-09 12:10:36

Just to confuse you we did both! When my dogs were puppies we had the crate in the corner of the living room, I was told that there or the kitchen is good so that the dog still feels part of the family when its resting. When they were older 8mths and 2yrs, we moved them out to the utility room, which is where they go at night and when I'm out, and we put a bed in the living room. We've now got rid of the crate completely - youngest is just 1, and they have beds in the living room and utility room. We've still got the crate for when we go camping and stay in holiday cottages though as they instantly settle as they know thats their space.

amazonianwoman Tue 22-Sep-09 13:05:03

Excellent, think I'll start with the kitchen then smile

ScaredOfCows Tue 22-Sep-09 13:16:31

When our dog was a puppy he had a crate in the kitchen, under the kitchen table. He didn't go in it when were eating though, as we wanted to train him to lie down away from the table until we had finished eating.

countrybump Tue 22-Sep-09 13:21:40

My dog had a crate in the kitchen at home, and under my desk at work.

When he outgrew the crate (he is huge!) he had a bed in place of the crate, initially in the kitchen, and now in the hallway as I put a table in the kitchen. But, we move the bed around to wherever we want him to be, so it goes in the kitchen if we need to shut him in there, take it on holiday etc.

claricebeansmum Tue 22-Sep-09 13:25:49

Dog has crate in utility room off the kitchen so the door is open and she can see what is going on if she wants or she can just get away from us all. Very important that they have somewhere quiet to go to get away from everyone.

She also has a mat in the kitchen if she wants to be in on the action which is strategically placed by the radiator next to the bin!! Doggy heaven! grin

Crate training was one of the best things I trained her to do. If people come around who don't like dogs she can be easily persuaded into her crate with a treat and is very happy in there. I can also shut her in in an emergency - such as the incident with the Tropicana Lake and Falls the other breakfast...

Buda Tue 22-Sep-09 13:37:26

Our crate is in corner of living room. Room is big enough that it is not too obtrusive.

Dog only goes in there at night or when I am going out though. The rest of the time she sleeps in various locations! She is currently in the garden but this morning has been asleep under the computer desk, in front of the sofa behind me and in the doorway to the study!

tibni Tue 22-Sep-09 20:40:23

Our new puppy has a crate in the dining room - it was the best place in our house. It is close to the garden - so easy access to outside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now