Talk

Advanced search

If you have cat + dog, how do you keep their food separate?

(10 Posts)
amazonianwoman Tue 22-Sep-09 11:10:38

We have 2 cats, one will only eat wet food so he has 3 x sachets a day, eats them up pretty fast. The other has dry, but nibbles all day long.

We're getting a puppy in 3 weeks (grin) - how do I stop the puppy eating the dry cat food? And the cat(s) eating the puppy food?

Pretty stupid question, but no idea what to do!

I've tried the last couple of days feeding the dry food 3 x day, but he still grazes, so food is left out.

DailyMailNameChanger Tue 22-Sep-09 11:15:18

My cat has his food upstairs in the bathroom and my dog is not allowed upstairs! Simple but effective grin

The cat has never tried to eat the puppy food - it is not something I have ever really heard of cats doing.

LittleMissNorty Tue 22-Sep-09 11:18:19

We have a labrador so this was pretty important. Our cat food is on the stairs as we have a couple of small landings on them IYKWIM and we moved his food and water there a few weeks before the puppy came.

A stair gate with a gap to one side means the cat can get through and the dog can't.....and if anyone leaves the gate open, the dog is hoovering up the cat food like a shot grin.

LittleMissNorty Tue 22-Sep-09 11:18:50

my cat wouldn't get near the dog food.....its gone in seconds!!

Onlyaphase Tue 22-Sep-09 11:22:18

I have 2 greedy labradors and two cats.

The cats I either feed on the work surface in the utility room, in which case I can leave the food out, or on the floor in the utility room - I then have to shut the dogs out of this room until the cats have finished.

There is never ever any dog food left after feeding time.

Whereabouts do you feed your cats at the moment?

bethoo Tue 22-Sep-09 11:29:30

my cats food is on the work surface in kitchen and dog food underneath, boxer can reach the cat food though he rarely gets chance as he is wiht me all day and puppy cannot reach, cats will not eat dog dry food but will hover if the dogs get a treat of canned food!
depends on how big your dog will grow nad how agiel he is!

bethoo Tue 22-Sep-09 11:30:23

meant to say how agile he will be! grin

amazonianwoman Tue 22-Sep-09 11:35:54

Thanks all.

Cats are currently fed on kitchen floor near the back door.

Sounds like it won't be a problem of the cats eating the dog food if dogs eat all in one go. Just vice versa!

We don't have any surfaces in the utility - just lots of cupboards. The cats don't really go upstairs either!

Onlyaphase Tue 22-Sep-09 11:42:06

One thing we did in one house was to feed the cats on the floor in the utility room but have a latch on the door of the room so that it only opened by 4 inches - so the cats could feed at will, and go in and out of the house etc, and the dogs couldn't get in there at all.

I used one of those hook and eye latch things, which I am describing extremely badly. It has an "eye" and then a "hook" with a 3 or 4 inch long stem on it, so when it is attached to the door and frame the door is locked in position at 3 inches open. Might that help, if you fed the cats in your utility room?

amazonianwoman Tue 22-Sep-09 11:49:03

Great idea, I know exactly what you mean smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now