Talk

Advanced search

odd question about c-section bitches

(3 Posts)
differentID Mon 21-Sep-09 22:58:13

My sister's bitch has just had a c-section for a single large puppy. they asked the vet if the pup was ok to be left with mum and were told yes, however they have now got home with mum and pup amd the mum has bitten the pup in the neck and killed it? is this common/ why would she have done this? my sis has said that recently her bitch has been out of sorts and snappy. she's talking of getting rid of her.

it's her secind c-section, the first time, pup was dead when they got to it. again it was a single large pup.

help?

beautifulgirls Tue 22-Sep-09 10:48:26

Aw how sad - the vet was right to advise that they could be left together - the puppy has the best chance being with the mother, so long as she was awake enough not to sleep on top of the pup after her anaesthetic - usually the vet will keep them until they are "safe" to release with the pup(s) As the mother has never nursed a pup before it may just be that this was down to her inexperience over everything and instead of her maternal feelings taking over she sadly saw the pup as a threat. The same may well have happened if she had given birth to the pup naturally sad Thankfully it is not all that common, but it is not unheard of for a bitch to kill her pups.

I would strongly advise your sister not to breed from her again - she would likely need a c-sect again from the sounds of it, and may just not be a great mum either. Has she been speyed now? If not then your sister might like to get that done once she is over the c/section and see if that helps her behaviour - it is possible her hormones have not been helping her behaviour recently.

differentID Tue 22-Sep-09 18:06:37

thanks for answering. my sis was going to get her spayed anyway- 2 pregnancies both times one single very large puppy each time. she also said that this time around she has become more agressive, so she will speak to her breeder for more ideas.

DSis hated the bitch last night, especially as she saw it happen. Spoke to her for about half an hour- she seems less trauimatised now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now