Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

When will my cat give birth?

(6 Posts)
frostyfingers Mon 21-Sep-09 09:43:09

My kitty is huge (football on legs) - she's around 8 weeks pregnant, and eating loads. She has a little milk so I was wondering how soon after she starts producing milk she's likely to have the kittens. I know it's a 9 week gestation, but I'm not sure she can get much bigger without popping.

She can't jump up to where she normally has her food, and can just about get on to her favourite spot. It brings back memories that's for sure - she's just lying there looking uncomfortable, although in herself she's very perky.

Can anyone give me maternity advice please!?

madusa Mon 21-Sep-09 09:51:11

i think that once the milk comes in, it is a metter of days.

How exciting!

My kitten is now 11 weeks old and has grown immensly since the day he was born.

It is lovely to watch.....make sure that mummy cat stays in now as you don't want her having them outside.

How old is the mum to be? Is it her first litter?

the gestation is 63 days - normally, exactly to the day!

She may start acting funny, finding a warn safe and quiet place to litter down.

Good Luck - hope you are prepared!!!!

frostyfingers Mon 21-Sep-09 10:07:32

It's her 2nd go, sadly she had 7 (gulp), but 4 were born dead and she produced no milk and the other 3 didn't make it. She is "under the vet" so to speak - I have a hotline and keep calling them, no doubt will be off there at the first sign of trouble but have been assured that there's no reason it should happen again.

She's 2.5, and it will be her only litter, successful or not, we will have her spayed after this. I have 4 homes lined up, so am hoping it works this time.

She has a special hiding place in the woodshed and I have put a box in there with hay, newspaper, towels and vet bed and we are leaving the utility room open with another box in there. I can't shut her in as she goes mad, but hope that a snug box in the utility room will tempt her rather than one in shed. Last time she gave birth during the day so hopefully she will this time.

We are all excited, but also v nervous bearing in mind what happened last time.

oh gosh thats so so sad - did the vets give any reason why that would have happened last time?

Let us know when she pops, and supply pictures -

frostyfingers Mon 21-Sep-09 10:32:37

No - they thought possibly that they were premature and that she had an infection (which is why they were early), she had antibiotics but that was too late to stop her losing remaining 3. Twas very sad -I think I'm compensating now by making sure I know where she is all the time. If she nips out for a stroll I worry if she's not back in a few mins, although she managed to catch a vole yesterday - it must have been very slow because she is not fast at all atm!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now