Talk

Advanced search

Can I talk shit [grin] (as per usual)

(16 Posts)
bedlambeast Sun 20-Sep-09 19:48:24

Message withdrawn

ceres Sun 20-Sep-09 21:24:09

i don't really have any advice about what else you vould feed. we use naturediet for our dog, he has colitis and it is the only food we have found that helps keep it under control.

£6 is a lot - where do you buy it from? i know danes are big but our staffie is 25kg and only has 2 packs per day. i buy it from zooplus - i always buy in bulk so i get free delivery and 5% off each order, i also get loyalty points so every so often get him some freebie pigs ears or suchlike!

if your dog has bowel/tummy problems you might like to try slippery elm bark powder - it is very safe for both humans and dogs and basically lines and soothes the digestive tract. whenever our dog has a flare up (not too often since he's been on naturediet!) i give him this and it works really quickly, stops the alarming tummy noises and firms up the runny/bloody poo. i mix the powder with hot water and add it to his food.

sorry i can't be of more help - hope somebody else comes along with some suggestions for you!

bedlambeast Sun 20-Sep-09 21:41:50

Message withdrawn

ceres Sun 20-Sep-09 21:51:28

just looked at the pets at home site - naturediet is cheaper there than zooplus! haven't bought it from pets at home for ages, last time i got it there it was much more expensive.

i do find the slippery elm brilliant, our dog was about 6 when diagnosed with colitis but has always had a sensitive tummy.

i don't use mixer but there must be a mixer out there for sensitive tums.

am very impressed at getting through 8 packs a day, am not surprised you need super-sized poo bags!

bedlambeast Mon 21-Sep-09 21:33:37

Message withdrawn

ceres Tue 22-Sep-09 08:38:48

it does sound like it might be colitis - mucous in the poo is an indicator. does he seem to strain going to the loo, sometimes not producing much/anything?

when ours developed colitis it was quite dramatic, he kept wanting to go outside and was straining to go but not much happening. i called the vet and they said to bring him in - appt a couple of hours later. by the time we got there he had passed some blood and then in the waiting room his bum exploded and there was blood everywhere. it was absolutely awful, i was distraught which probably didn't help matters!! anyway, he was kept in a couple of nights as he had to have a drip and then given tablets. i did a lot of research on the web as i don't like giving drugs unless absolutely necessary. that's whern i found out about both naturediet and slippery elm powder.

the vet reckoned that the colitis could have been caused by a bug he had picked up, but equally i think it could have been a tenadncy he had all along. he has skin allergies as well and these often go hand in hand with a sensitive tum apparantly.

the good news is that he is fine now. we recently had to change vets and the new one saw him for the first time last week and commented on what good shape he is in, despite the colitis and allergies.

if you google canine colitis and slippery elm bark powder there is loads of info out there. slippery elm comes in powder or capsules - we use the powder for the dog and the capsules for humans! i mix a teaspoon of the powder with some hot water, it forms a jelly like substance, and then i mix it into his naturediet.

sorry for the long post!

bedlambeast Wed 23-Sep-09 08:16:59

Message withdrawn

MadrasHouse Wed 23-Sep-09 08:37:50

You can buy naturediet in bulk here - you don't need to be a breeder:

here

HTH

minimu Wed 23-Sep-09 10:37:35

The kibble that may help is hills presciription diet I/d but that is really expensive!!! about £55.00 for a 14kg bag.

I would keep him on the nature diet and for treats you can cut it into little pieces and cook it on low in the oven to make a crispy biscuit. When his tum is settled gently try the other foods. It does sound like he has an issue with wheat and grain (re the toast and dental chew) It can be hard to find kibble without this. One kibble to try is Burns they do a rice on but again not cheap.

I can just imagine the poos!!!!shock

bedlambeast Fri 25-Sep-09 09:39:17

Message withdrawn

moosemama Fri 25-Sep-09 10:11:53

My Soft Coated Wheaten was on Nature Diet as a pup, we had it delivered in bulk and put our other two dogs on it as well.

She suddenly developed colitis whilst on it, despite not being given any other treats. She was about 3 months old at the time, is now nearly 12 years old and still suffers from colitis if she eats anything other than her standard diet (she is on James Wellbeloved - costs us £44 a month to feed three dogs 1 large lurcher, 1 collie size crossbreed and 1 wheaten).

If it helps we have found that we can change her over to different food by introducing it ridiculously slowly (as in one nugget added to usual food, then two, then three up to ten, then half a tea cup, then a whole cup etc with half a week in between raising the amounts).

Unfortunately we are BLW our 8 month dd at the moment and despite being half blind and quite slow on her pins its amazing how quickly she can move when food flies off the high chair table. She is suffering at the moment due to a wedge of baked potato she managed to snatch off the floor before we got there the day before yesterday!

moosemama Fri 25-Sep-09 10:18:12

Almost forgot, my dad had a rescue Great Dane years ago that had a really sensitive stomach. They really struggled to keep weight on him and his condition was really poor. They tried all sorts of foods until the vet recommended they try Vitalin.

I was very dubious, as dogs have no requirement for grains in their diets and I felt it would make the situation worse. I was wrong though, suited him down to the ground, he gained weight, his coat became glossy and shiny and they never looked back. Dad was really impressed and fed his next two rescue Danes the same food with no problems. He was always recommending it to me, but I didn't try it on my own dogs. I wouldn't normally recommend Vitalin, but just thought it might be worth a mention as it was another Dane.

bedlambeast Fri 25-Sep-09 10:49:24

Message withdrawn

moosemama Fri 25-Sep-09 11:13:48

You'd think with a lurcher and a very fast border collie cross belgian shepherd my poor old lady would be too slow to catch any of the blw overflow. I think the problem is that she might not be fast, but she's wiley! grin

My first ever dog was a rescue GSD. She had terrible stomach problems and the only thing she could eat was Chappie - god I hated the smell of that stuff!

Am with you on the glamour thing. DH has renamed our girl Squirtle - something she has been doing a lot over the past 24 hours, poor thing.

When dd was a few weeks old all three dogs got a viral stomach bug. They came down with it while I was out and when I got home the kitchen was awash. Both ends/3 dogs makes for a lot of well, yuk! Worst thing was I couldn't open the door I needed to to get the cleaning solution etc because they'd been ill in front of it and while I stood there in floods of hormonal tears they all continued wandering around errm 'emitting'. Phoned dh as I was beside myself and too hormonal to think logically - his reply - "Well what do you want me to do about it?", I hung up on him, cried for a bit longer then steeled myself for one major mucking out job. Ah the joy of living with dogs! wink grin

minimu Fri 25-Sep-09 19:15:44

moosemama agree about chappie very cheap and can be great for some dogs. Does contain wheat though so go carefully

spugs Sat 26-Sep-09 15:25:24

Wow £6 a day shock my 2 get through £6 of dog food in about 3 weeks (they are small though).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now