Talk

Advanced search

I have two beautiful new boys in my family!

(38 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Megglevache Sun 20-Sep-09 17:48:04

:-)

You need a baby grin

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 20-Sep-09 20:32:02

Which tree is the branch from?

ZZZenAgain Sun 20-Sep-09 20:33:56

so hard to leave them alone for 48 hours!

I always chat a lot to mine . They will turn their head and gaze thoughtfully at you out of one eye. It's very cute.

They like new noises and will reward you with a nice brrrrrr when you produce them. Ours love jingling keys. And when they come to know you and recognise when you are bringing food, they will leap about ,oinking like mad. I always make a performance out of rustling feed bags or shaking feed boxes. Gets them really excited.

LauraIngallsWilder Sun 20-Sep-09 20:34:20

I was going to ask that too - check that the tree branch is ok, some trees arent ok but I cant remember which

Im glad you are loving your new gps - Im regretting getting mine which I feel terrible about obviously

ZZZenAgain Sun 20-Sep-09 20:35:08

what's getting you down Laura?

LauraIngallsWilder Sun 20-Sep-09 20:51:53

Thats good mmj

I got mine from a refuge when they were 18months old. This is their 5th home shock

I have found it impossible to form a bond with them, they never like being handled and always rush to escape!
Also they are huge big boys - way too big for my small hands tbh

So I am utterly jealous of anyone with wee baby gps, it must be so much easier for them to learn to make friends with a human at that age envy

ZZZenAgain Sun 20-Sep-09 20:56:53

they have had an unsettling life then Laura, haven't they? I have noticed that they run when a shadow falls across them from above which makes picking them up tricky at times. It is just their natural instinct to run from birds of prey as the shadow of their wing comes over them. Have you had them long?

I read somewhere it is a good idea to go to them often and just speak gently, stroke them without trying to pick them up so they get used to being handled in a gradual way. If you folded up a towel so it made a kind of cave, would they walk into that, then you could lift the towel with a gp in it on to your lap?

LauraIngallsWilder Sun 20-Sep-09 21:13:42

Ha ha zzzen at stroke them, they would never allow that!
Nooooo I have to put a cat carrier in, encourage them to walk into it so as to trap them and then pick them up out of there!!!

We have got them indoors which supposedly means happier more relaxed around humans gps - not true with our boys!

Our cage however is fab and I would definately reccomended it to others - home made for £36! 28 inches by 56 inches
Our cage

Sorry for thread hijack Janitor

LauraIngallsWilder Sun 20-Sep-09 21:24:15

MMJ - b&q for the cube grids £24 for 20 or you can buy them individually on ebay I think

Coroplast - find a sign maker locally and buy a sheet of it, mine cost £12 which they delivered free as I am only 1/2 a mile up the road!

The best size cage to make is 2 by 4 grids - each grid is 14 inches by 14 inches

Fleece blankets - hunt for these at local markets, mine are highly tasteful with dolphins, seals and cats

towels underneath - any old towels

I have one layer towel, one fleece - wash twice a week

I chuck hay in and they like diving into it (and I think its mean to put it in a hay rack as many do) but chucking it in means that our blankets have now got bits of hay permanantly stuck all over them - washing machine all right so far wink

When I do the big clean I shake the blankets over our compost bin (I now have fabulous compost!)

HTH

LauraIngallsWilder Sun 20-Sep-09 21:25:58

Spare grids I use for partitioning off the hall so when they have their 'exercise' they
cant escape!!!

Mine have a taste for wallpaper

LauraIngallsWilder Sun 20-Sep-09 21:38:26

I cant find them now either MMJ - I wondered initially where to get them from! If you look on the cavycages discussion forum, hunt for the uk threads there should be a "where can I get my grids/cubes" thread

Argos did them at one time

LauraIngallsWilder Sun 20-Sep-09 21:40:20

This is what you want but you dont want to pay £62!!!!!

LauraIngallsWilder Sun 20-Sep-09 21:43:11

Aha - google Safco wire cube storage - loads of options

I am contemplating getting a couple of these to assist bonding with mine!

Im not feeling too hopeful though - we got them almost a year ago and no joy yet!

LauraIngallsWilder Sun 20-Sep-09 22:00:43

It was a 'project' wink
Main problem is getting the coroplast base exactly the right size to fit the cubes round when you fold up the sides (lots of gaffer tape covered my errors and re scoring)

Lots of patience is required!

Dont bother with the plastic cages you can get in petsathome etc - way too small for gps - even the biggest one, nero4 is too small really especially as you have boys
(two girls might be alright in a nero4 though)

morocco Sun 20-Sep-09 22:02:32

awww enjoy! love my piggies. they've had free range of the garden all day today and loved exploring under all the bushes. cute

ZZZenAgain Mon 21-Sep-09 12:48:21

it's not you, they are scaredy critters by nature.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now