Talk

Advanced search

My 6 wk old guinea has decided he wants to be feral in my garden

(18 Posts)
travellingwilbury Fri 18-Sep-09 18:16:43

Any ideas on how I can catch him ?

He is only wee and has been with his mum all this time but I decided now was the time to get him used to being handled . Not my smartest move hmm He scratched me and jumped and is currently hiding in the undergrowth .

I can't get any where near to him to get him and put him back in the warm . I don't want to chase him and get him stressed so for now I am leaving him alone but obviously don't want him to be out there on his own .

Sagacious Fri 18-Sep-09 18:27:57

Brocolli
and a cardboard box

My GP's (only young) are obsessed with cardboard boxes

LauraIngallsWilder Fri 18-Sep-09 18:29:38

I agree put a cat carrier or cardboard box nearby with hay and brocoli or carrot in it - he will hopefully smell it out and hide in there

travellingwilbury Fri 18-Sep-09 18:29:54

Thanks and hello again grin

I will give it a try before it gets dark .

travellingwilbury Fri 18-Sep-09 20:51:31

Right I have tried and the bloody thing is ignoring me and buggering off when I get closer than 10ft .

Do you think you can hire guinea dogs ?

chickchickchickee Fri 18-Sep-09 21:00:34

DOn't they call them foxes wink

travellingwilbury Fri 18-Sep-09 21:05:19

Oh NO ! How could you ?

It has survived for two night son there already I think its time could well be limited wink

Stupid sod

travellingwilbury Fri 18-Sep-09 21:06:03

nights out there blush

No son out there yet I am not that mean

CarGirl Fri 18-Sep-09 21:11:56

I always handled ours from birth, Mums never minded. They always all came in the house together and sit on my knee (on a towel!)

CarGirl Fri 18-Sep-09 21:13:29

I always handled ours from birth, Mums never minded. They always all came in the house together and sit on my knee (on a towel!)

Pyrocanthus Fri 18-Sep-09 21:15:44

I hope he turns up. Keep trying with the box. When you get him back, don't put him back with his mum, though - male gps can be sexually active from 3 weeks (though he might not be tall enough to get up to much with an adult female).

Meglet Fri 18-Sep-09 21:18:46

You need something that smells good to trap him, what about dandelion leaves or some ground elder, assuming he hasn't already porked out on them. What about celery, that has a strong scent.

Pyrocanthus Fri 18-Sep-09 21:21:46

Of course, he's in the garden, the food is lovely. Try something that smells of mum?

travellingwilbury Fri 18-Sep-09 21:22:37

I will try celery tomorrow , not much I can do for now , I have left some food out for it and it seems pretty settled under the cage hmm

CarGirl Fri 18-Sep-09 21:24:07

can you get another female or Mum and put them in the box?

Mine were always quite happy to go back to their hutch after a wander around the house or garden and were used to entrapp a few errant g-pigs of friends in their time! My girlies would come running back with errant male following behind!

Pyrocanthus Fri 18-Sep-09 21:25:07

Can you put something round the bottom of the cage to keep the, er, guinea dogs at bay?

travellingwilbury Fri 18-Sep-09 21:26:06

I did try and out mum in the run to see if that would get him out but no luck , he comes out and has a sniff then buggers off as soon as he sees us . Should have handled him earlier maybe . dh will be about tomorrow so hopefully will be abit easier with two of us

Pyrocanthus Fri 18-Sep-09 21:34:28

Good luck with rounding him up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now