Talk

Advanced search

rehoming a cat that doesnt like other cats with cats iyswim!

(13 Posts)
cheesesarnie Thu 17-Sep-09 11:24:55

grin my sisters cat needs a new home.she doesnt get on withy other cats,i have 2.i dont want to see her go to a stranger and never see her again.would she get used to it?

beautifulgirls Thu 17-Sep-09 16:10:23

It doesn't sound like a very good idea to me. She is likely to get pretty stressed about it all and quite probably stress out your cats in the process too. She would probably be better off in a home with no other cats there already.

cheesesarnie Fri 18-Sep-09 23:05:06

ok.thankssad

valhala Sat 19-Sep-09 00:03:31

Depends on the age of the cat, the reason why she doesn't like others - ie is she scared or just stroppy etc? Also whether or not she has been spayed can make a difference.

I have taken in cats in the past who don't initially get on with my existing mogs ad/or who are reputed not to like other cats' compay, and have ended up with perfectly happy newcomers. If you have the patience to perservere, and if your sister's cat is not just damn petrified (though I have overcome that one too - I'm no expert, mind, just a softie and unwilling to give up!), you may well find similar success. It does sometimes mean letting them get on with stropping at each other (as long as it doesn't turn very nasty of course) and ignoring the strops until each finds his/her place in their cat community.

Theres a lot to consider but in all honesty I wouldn't completely abandon the idea.

cheesesarnie Sat 19-Sep-09 12:36:59

sisters cat-lola is 2.mine are both 1.lola has never really mixed with other cats and isnt scared of them,more that she thinks shes a dog(she lives with two bouncy labs!) and doesnt like them that way.

i suppose once were settled in new house we could try it and see how they all get on.

PinkTulips Sat 19-Sep-09 12:42:21

one of my cats hates the other 5, and 3 of them are her kittens fgs!

she exists perfectly happily though simply by ignoring them for the most part and swiping at them if they happen to come close. She's content and not stressed in any way

cheesesarnie Sat 19-Sep-09 12:47:53

thats good to know.lola spends most of her time outside so im not sure she would care to much as she only comes in to glare and be fed-shes a typical selfish feline.

cheesesarnie Sat 19-Sep-09 12:48:16

ive just realised-you have six cats!!!shock

PinkTulips Sat 19-Sep-09 12:52:32

yeah.... i seem to accumulate them somehow!

123andaway Sat 19-Sep-09 17:27:30

I think generally cats work out their pecking order pretty quickly. There will be a fair bit of hissing and back arching while they do so.

Cats (other than those raised together) tend not to be sociable other cats, and are pretty good at ignoring each other.

The problem comes when you get two 'alphas'. My mum had this with two males (both nuetured) neither of whom would give in and accept the other as boss cat. Even they managed to reach an un-easy truce in the end.

bodeniites Sat 19-Sep-09 17:50:48

i have 5 cats they are all related apart from one the oldest one is hated by the rest even though 3 are her offspring she is generally very stressed wont use the cat flap constantly nervous when shes indoors etc its a wee shame for her

thesunshinesbrightly Sat 19-Sep-09 18:03:12

I have two cats also and they don't like each other, but they have to live with it because both are not going anywhere, i think cats just learn to ignore each other.

beautifulgirls Sat 19-Sep-09 18:30:34

So is the new cat a cat who is just not used to cats or is she one who hates other cats? It seems less clear between your first and second posts.
If she is just not used to other cats and may adjust then give it a go and see but be aware for problems may still happen and you should then consider a rethink.
If however she really is a cat who hates other cats then I really still think it would not be kind to her or your current cats - you would be taking her on for your own emotions here not considering hers. Stressed cats are far more likely to have urinary problems and in the worst situations some cats even choose to leave home, though that would be a fairly severe stress situation and hopefully not that likely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now