Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How long is too long to leave guinea pigs in their run

(18 Posts)
FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 16-Sep-09 17:56:24

and how do you know when it is too cold for them? (I am always cold.)

CaptainUnderpants Wed 16-Sep-09 20:40:46

Someone told me that they shouldn't be out much after end of Sept. Would be quite interested myself as this is our first winter with guinea pigs.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 17-Sep-09 17:53:22

Thanks for that. I missed this last night.

Mine have been out since about 12.30 today and it is the first time I have left them in their run while going for the kids from school. I very carefully checked the weather forecast.

Do you know how long it will take for them to feel less scared? They still run away when I try and pick them up. They are better if they let you stroke them for a while before picking them up.

I am still completely in love with them grin.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 17-Sep-09 17:54:08

I am getting some covers for their hutch and run so that will keep them cosy hopefully.

Meglet Thu 17-Sep-09 17:56:49

I've had piggies for 25 years (not the same ones obviously!) and they go out all year round, even in the snow. But they have always had a hutch attached to the run so they can still snuggle up in the hay.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 17-Sep-09 18:10:16

Mine have a house and a tunnel in their run but when it gets colder I will put some hay in the house too for them.

In their hutch they have hay all throughout and in the bedroom bit they have a lovely soft bed.

Pyrocanthus Thu 17-Sep-09 22:33:43

grin at Meglet's grey-haired little old pigs.

They'll come round gradually, Fab, keep on cuddling. A lot of guinea pigs aren't keen on being picked up, however contented they are once they are up. Our males run away for a moment, then stop, remember that they don't really mind, and climb onto our hands.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 18-Sep-09 07:33:29

Mine had never been handled so I suppose they will take a bit longer.

They have been squeaking this morning grin.

And one of them let DS1 hold him for quite a while yesterday - after nibbling on his shirt button hmmgrin.

bruffin Fri 18-Sep-09 07:46:30

Mine get left in the run all day every day, except in extreme weather. They do have a little hut to shelter in when it rains.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 18-Sep-09 08:18:47

Mine have a fabulous log cabin hmmgrin and they just hide in there for ages before venturing out.

Pyrocanthus Fri 18-Sep-09 10:38:23

<Evicts Fab's guinea pigs and moves into hutch and run herself.>

Jumente Fri 18-Sep-09 10:49:26

Fab, I think the more you hold them the better/ I have been sadly remiss and mine still aren't quite comfy to be picked up - but once up will be held for a while.

I learned that scratching their nose with your finger really hypnotises them...I mean the furry bit between their eyes, not the actual tip of nose.

They seem to love that and sit still to be picked up then.

I leave mine out on the grass most of the time, prob not when it's colder though - they've eben out nearly every day all summer, rain or whatever - they have a 'pigloo' plastic shelter and I move the run every day to fresh grass, but it's getting rather bare out there now.

Hijacking a littl, does anyone know what sort of run is best? I have taken the hutch attachment off the top of our big one, and move it about the lawn, because if you leave it in one place they run out of grass!

It's only got half a top though so need a proper one. I fancy the eglu but far too much ££.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 18-Sep-09 11:15:59

grin Pyrocanthus grin.

Jumente - we got our run from the rescue place and it was £170 for the run and hutch.

bruffin Fri 18-Sep-09 15:54:28

We have this run portable run and a log cabin

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 18-Sep-09 15:57:11

I would recommend one with a roof/lid though to stop opportunist birds getting the piggies.

Sagacious Fri 18-Sep-09 15:59:15

Our babies (14 weeks) have been in their run most of this afternoon.

Ds has constructed an obstacle course made up of cardboard boxes and tubes and we've just had our first ever popcorn moment.. the both of them leaping about like loons.

smile

Sagacious Fri 18-Sep-09 16:04:18

Additional ours has a lid see here

(we have a curious cat)

But have customised a shade with two of dd's old fitted cotsheets.. fits perfectly and a very fetching shade of pink.

123andaway Fri 18-Sep-09 16:42:20

We have one of these

The bottom velcros off for grass munching, but still leaves a small lip around the bottom so no escapees! It has a zip on/off mesh roof to keep the cat out.

We did have one of the hexagonal metal ones, but it came with a really flimsy mesh top, and I was worried that the cat would get in. I also couldn't get it to fold flat without taking it apart completely! It drove me mad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now