Talk

Advanced search

I am going to have the cleverest - or maybe the naughtiest - Guinea Pigs around

(11 Posts)
FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 14-Sep-09 16:04:57

DS1 is reading Horrid Henry's Revenge to them grin

I figured we could do 2 things at once since he wanted to sit with them but finds it impossible to ignore them until they feel brave, and follows them with tibits.

I'm a bit disappointed they haven't eaten the banana I gave them. They also don't seem to be eating much of their dried food. Are you meant to change it daily, because if so I will give them less as they are eating hardly any of it.

123andaway Mon 14-Sep-09 16:42:58

Uh oh - piggies + horrid henry = trouble!!!!! Just don't let them see G-force!

Glad they are settling in well

Mine won't touch bananna either. I only change the dry food when its nearly gone. I've got a dispenser thinggy for mine (see profile pics for a pic of spotty who had managed to climb into the dispenser bit yesterday!!), and that gets re-filled a couple of times a week.

Mine don't like the loose food from the pet shop, they prefer the bagged stuff (tesco being their favorite!), so it might be worth swapping brands if they don't start eating it soon.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 14-Sep-09 17:34:31

Spotty is so cheeky grin

Bert got in his bed this afternoon when trying to stop me picking him up. He hasn't slept in it yet afaik.

I have bought Wagg dried food, just expected them to be eating more than they are. Maybe they are full up with their carrots and curly kale.hmmgrin. Spoilt, I think so.

Pyrocanthus Mon 14-Sep-09 22:58:50

Are they having the same stuff that they had at the refuge, Fab? They don't like change. Otherwise, they might still be settling in. When we first had our two girls, they didn't seem to eat or drink for days. That's why I posted about input/output the other day - it eventually dawned on me that something certainly seemed to be passing through them.

None of mine have ever touched banana. Now melon rind, now you're talking...

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 15-Sep-09 08:14:29

I don't know but she asked what I had bought and said it was fine when I said the Wagg stuff.

This morning I have changed their water and checked on them. The banana has been left but they have had a carrot treat out of the same bowl and have eaten all the curly kale I gave them this morning, they love that. is it fine for them to have it every day or can they overdose on the vitamin C?

Bert is so funny. Toffee went to hide and he ran after her. He is more nervous and can't bear to be away from her.

It looks like it will rain all day, will they be okay just having a day in their hutch? we haven't got a cover that will stay on their run at the moment.

Pyrocanthus Tue 15-Sep-09 09:43:19

If they're eating their greens, they'll be fine. They're probably nibbling hay as well, so the cereal's an extra really. I don't think they will od on vitamin C - if you're really interested in the nutritional value of their food, there's a scary amount of info. on this site, but don't let it make looking after guinea pigs seem more complicated than it is. Our pigs will stop eating something for a while if they've had rather a lot of it - they're presumably trying to tell us something.

We used to end up with a little heap of scared guinea pigs when we first had ours. The very timid one used to hurl herself on top of the other one and follow her everywhere, like Bert.

They'll be fine in their hutch.

Must do some work today.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 15-Sep-09 09:44:25

I am meant to be making sausage rolls but love talking piggies grin.

Pyrocanthus Tue 15-Sep-09 09:47:26

Can I have one?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 15-Sep-09 09:48:14

Of course.

I am cheating though as I have bought ready made pastry.

Pyrocanthus Tue 15-Sep-09 09:54:04

That'll be fine, thanks.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 15-Sep-09 10:00:38

Just put them in the oven. They look good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now