Talk

Advanced search

Really really daft question

(19 Posts)
FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 12-Sep-09 08:38:08

I have only had my gorgeous Guinea pigs since yesterday afternoon. It is cold today. Will they be okay? blush. They are currently in their run, sharing pieces of carrots and pooing and hiding in their tube.

BertieBotts Sat 12-Sep-09 09:08:27

They'll be fine It's only over the winter with frost etc that they are in danger.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 12-Sep-09 12:50:25

Thank you.

We intend to get them a nice warm cover next month.

BertieBotts Sat 12-Sep-09 12:59:40

That sounds like a good plan. We kept our pigs indoors through the winter (but seem to remember you had a thread saying you don't have room?) but I did see at the pet shop the other day a little sign saying "Your new pet will not have grown a winter coat this year so it's best to keep them warm/inside if possible" - I don't know whether it works like that or not, but someone else might.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 12-Sep-09 13:09:41

We plan to put them in the garage if they get too cold.

CarGirl Sat 12-Sep-09 13:11:20

presumably one end of the run is covered to give them some shelter from the wind? They don't like drafts.

fruitshootsandheaves Sat 12-Sep-09 13:12:38

ours are out all year as we are mean grin

The rabbit might come in this year thou as he has lost his mate and no longer has a snuggle buddy to keep him warm!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 12-Sep-09 13:13:34

There is only a very light breeze at the moment and the sun is out so I think they are okay.

They are currently both in the tube. Do you think they are trying to say they are cold? sad

CarGirl Sat 12-Sep-09 13:19:04

I don't know FAB mine were outside 95% of the years but they could go freely between their all weather 2 compart and draft free hutch & run so they always had the choice?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 12-Sep-09 13:21:48

I am going to have a look and see what they are doing.

CarGirl Sat 12-Sep-09 13:23:29

perhaps they're sleeping and want to feel "safe"

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 12-Sep-09 13:26:09

I have put them back in their hutch as I wasn't sure if they were shivering or just breathing quickly.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 12-Sep-09 13:26:49

Missed your post, CG. Oops. They can have another play out later.

CarGirl Sat 12-Sep-09 13:28:58

I would give them somesort of shelter within their run, basicall an upside down box with a door way cut into it but made of wood.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 12-Sep-09 13:31:03

I will get one next time I go out.

I did put their snuggly bed in with them but only Bert went in it.

They seem very close grin.

CarGirl Sat 12-Sep-09 13:42:21

They could be a bit nervous, new environment and all that.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 12-Sep-09 13:45:12

It is hard as I have been told different things about how long to leave them before trying to handle them, etc and I just want to do the right thing and for them to be happy.

CarGirl Sun 13-Sep-09 19:25:00

HOw are the piggies today?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 13-Sep-09 20:05:07

They are so lovely.grin

Bert is a lot more shy than Toffee and very vocal at times. When I was holding Toffee, Bert was running around looking for her and squeaking. I had to put her down so they could be together. They kissed when they saw each other again.

More shopping this afternoon hmmgrin. Got a ball and a place to hide that will last more than 2 days as is made out of plastic.

I love them so much and are already fretting about one of the dying.

They love curly kale and Bert nicked some out of Toffee's mouth grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now