Talk

Advanced search

FAB's Guinea Pigs are home!!

(34 Posts)
FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 11-Sep-09 16:51:36

We now have a boy and a girl and I had got them mixed up.

The black one is a boy and will keep his name as Bert.

The ginger one with a white spot on her head is a girl and has been renamed twice and is now Toffee.

They are in their hutch and settling in but I am not sure about the kids playing in the garden at the same time. hmm They don't know how to be quiet but I guess the piggies have to get used to it.

I have been told different things by the rescue place about how long to leave them before we interact with them so advice would be good.

Also, they have cereal in their bowl, do I put their veg just loose in the hutch, in the cereal bowl or so I need a second dish?

I have been told veg every day and fruit as a treat once a week.

I am so excited. grin

ZZZenAgain Fri 11-Sep-09 16:54:39

Aw Toffee and Bert. How sweet. I'm guessing they are not able to have little baby gps otherwise you could have your garden overrun very fast!

I would let your dc out to do what they normally do, I just would take my time letting them see and hear you all before they are picked up much. They just need to get settled, get their bearings and recognise who their people are.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 11-Sep-09 16:57:55

No, Bert has been done, grin

Bert was squeaking like mad when the lady was doing her check on him and Toffee is so pretty.

They haven't been held so we will give them lots of cuddles.

One was dumped at the centre in a box and one was taken from a lady who had far too many.

They will have a fabulous time with us and are 6-12months and 1 year old so I am hoping we will have a good few years with them.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 11-Sep-09 17:13:26

I think they have settled in.

I just gave them some carrot pieces and they have pooed alreadygrin

Daft question - where do I dispose of the poo?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 11-Sep-09 17:18:53

The carrots have been eaten already grin

123andaway Fri 11-Sep-09 20:07:27

Ahh so glad they are safely home - they sound lovely!

I would say leave them for 24 hours, maybe 48 if they are nervy before you handle them. To start with keep cuddles short, they will soon get used to you.

I always put the veg in a separate bowl as I find it saves mess, and doesn't end up with so many wood shavings and hay stuck to it.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 11-Sep-09 20:09:07

Good idea.

I am desperate to cuddle them.

Will check on them soon. It's dark .sad

clayre Fri 11-Sep-09 20:14:48

congratulations to Bert and Toffee, cute names, i couldnt bear to have ours outside so they are in the livingroom.

Do give them lots of cuddles they love cuddles!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 11-Sep-09 20:15:48

I hate them being outside.

It's going to be cold. sad

I hope they have got in their snuggly buggly warm bed.

lisasimpson Fri 11-Sep-09 20:21:45

glad to hear it is going well. We now have nuzzle and scratch installed in their new home and they seem to be happy too!

Pyrocanthus Fri 11-Sep-09 20:26:47

They sound lovely. I used to love a pony called Toffee when I was a child, but I still hanker a bit after the car names.

Have a lovely time with them.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 11-Sep-09 20:32:43

Have just been out to check on them.

They were laid next to each other smile but not in their lovely warm bed and it is cold out there.sad

What if they can't climb into their bed?

Pyrocanthus Fri 11-Sep-09 20:49:30

Because they're not used to having one? I have to say they're not always the brightest of creatures. They'll keep each other warm. Have they got plenty of hay?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 11-Sep-09 20:52:43

Yep, loads of hay. When I get to pick them up I will put them in the bed in case they don't know what they are meant to do with it, grin.

Pyrocanthus Fri 11-Sep-09 20:54:13

Otherwise, one of them will stumble into it eventually and realize that it feels rather pleasant.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 11-Sep-09 20:58:03

They were laid right next to it so there is hope still.

Pyrocanthus Fri 11-Sep-09 21:02:32

They're stalking it. grin

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 11-Sep-09 21:07:42

grin

I don't think they have eaten anything other than a small piece of carrot each yet.

Pyrocanthus Fri 11-Sep-09 21:58:19

Don't worry too much about input, as long as there's ouput.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 12-Sep-09 08:32:06

Oh yes, there is output grin

They are in their run and sharing some carrot chunks. grin

I love their little chats with each other and DS1 wants them to get married grin.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 12-Sep-09 12:52:42

We have the hutch on the patio and the run on the grass. The run needs to go on the patio once a week to help their claws stop being too long.

I have taken photos using my lap top but have no idea how to get them on here.

Have just been sat with them and I stroked Toffee for a bit. She is hilarious, she stole some carrot from Bert's mouth and ran off with it! grin

I'm in love gringrin.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 12-Sep-09 13:55:16

That is a bargain. My outlay so far is heading for £270.

Check the size of the hutch. Has to be 5 foot for 2 piggies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now