Talk

Advanced search

My Guinea Pigs are coming home tomorrow and I need advice about fresh food please until I can get a book.

(10 Posts)
FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 10-Sep-09 20:48:42

So far, I have bought them carrots, golden delicious apples and parsley along with cereal and some treats grin. Do I peel the carrots and apples first and how big do the chunks/pieces have to be?

Apparently they also like melon and bananas.

How often should they have fresh fruit and veg?

feedthegoat Thu 10-Sep-09 20:54:07

Ds has a Guinea Pig at my mums and it has fresh food every day. We don't peel things like apple and carrot and cut it into chunks about the size you get in kids snack packs though I doubt it would really matter!

Good luck with them. I love Guinea Pigs, they're really nice pets for children.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 10-Sep-09 20:54:59

Thank you

123andaway Fri 11-Sep-09 09:58:32

Mine love lettice (avoid iceburg as it can give them diarrhoea), spinach, cucumber and brocolli. They also like carrots, tomatoes and apples, but not as much as the other things (I often find apple and carrots left in the bowl, the rest is all gone!). They will not touch banannas, oranges, strawberrys or sweetcorn, all of which they are supposed to like. Their absolute favorite is dandelion leaves picked from the garden - they go mad for them! As a treat I sometimes give them a whole little gem lettice, which they have great fun ripping to bits and eating.

Cut veg into fairly big chucky pieces as they gnaw at it. I feed mine veg twice aday, then a bowl of dandelion and grass in the evening. We have 4 piggies and they have 2 rabbit size bowls (about 15 cm diameter) full each meal - and they still squeek at me for more everytime I go near them!!

GrinnyPig Fri 11-Sep-09 10:06:34

Ours have fresh food at least once a day - usually when I am preparing dinner and they get scraps. Don't peel carrots or apples. Ours don't eat much apple so we just tend to cut a slice off for them if we are having one. Cucumber is the big favourite here - especially the skin. We give them a whole corn on the cob sometimes and unless we take it out they eat the whole thing, including the cob. Peppers are also popular. I have a Tesco delivery arriving shortly including a head of brocolli for them! We don't eat it, so it is specifically for them. The chewy sticks that you can hang in their cage are good too.

Ours love spinach, but I did read somewhere that it's not very good for them so they are given an occasional leaf.

RubysReturn Fri 11-Sep-09 10:08:26

ah bless - gps with peeled veg!
We do daily fresh. I sling in whole carrots, I think they like the gnawing and dragging about bit. Ours enjoy spring greens too.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 11-Sep-09 10:20:26

I think I could be in danger of spoiling these piggies. grin

KSal Fri 11-Sep-09 10:20:33

my gps get the peelings smile. every day is ideal for the fresh stuff, they are a little picky tho, but you will get to learn what yours like. my first two absolutely loved cucumber, but these ones aren't so fussed. I have to keep telling dh off for giving them the tops of the spring onions - it makes them honk.

lisasimpson Fri 11-Sep-09 10:26:57

FBGIS - We get ours after school today! we are also very excited and they will certainly be spoilt! are you getting girls or boys?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 11-Sep-09 10:48:44

We are getting a boy and a girl. The boy has been neutered much to the home checker's annoyance.

What is poisonous to guinea pigs? I can my youngest wanting to give them my baking!hmmgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now