Talk

Advanced search

Dogs - which breed?

(13 Posts)
McDreamy Wed 09-Sep-09 14:03:45

We have a lovely old lab but my problem with labs is the smell. What dog would you recommend as a family pet that doesn't smell as bad as a lab!

Iklboo Wed 09-Sep-09 14:05:05

Greyhounds or whippets. But I'm biased cos my old girl is a whippet/greyhound cross

potoftea Wed 09-Sep-09 14:06:54

Not sure about smell, but don't get a king charles unless you enjoy hoovering hairs from your carpets and being covered in a light dusting of them all the time. grin

They are adorable but do shed a lot. Smell okay though.

McDreamy Wed 09-Sep-09 14:09:52

how about Springers? Do they smell and shed lots of hair?

hatwoman Wed 09-Sep-09 14:12:11

we have a lab and he doesn't smell. much. not like a golden retriever anyway.

check out a website called petplanet - it has really good breed profiles and you can put your requirements in and it comes up with suggestions. I'm not sure if smell is one of the criteria though! - perhaps if you try short hair / non-shedding.

I think labradoodles are probably quite good for smell - they don't shed so their smell won't rub off on the carpets. but the non-smelly one I know has a bath every week. which seems like a lot of hard work.

hatwoman Wed 09-Sep-09 14:13:08

springers shed lots. not so sure about smell. I'll have a good whiff next time I visit my brother. they're a bit mad though.

notjustapuppymum Wed 09-Sep-09 14:52:14

Awww my goldens aren't smelly...

claricebeansmum Wed 09-Sep-09 14:53:33

We have a labradoodle. She doesn't smell unless she has rolled in cow poo/fox poo/on a dead animal. A charmer! grin

spugs Wed 09-Sep-09 15:20:40

Neither of mine smell, ones a mini schnauzer x bichon frise who doesn't shed and the other is a papillon who sheds a little.

Not all labradoodles don't shed, some shed like labs and some don't shed like poodles.

Springers shed and smell grin plus need lots of exercise and are very bouncy.

What about a schnauzer, dont shed or smell and have great characters. Plus theres 3 different sizes so theres bound to be one in the size range you like

GrimmaTheNome Wed 09-Sep-09 15:24:45

My shorthaired standard dachs hardly smells at all. Not much shedding either. A friend actually commented about how most houses with dogs smell but mine doesn't.grin

notjustapuppymum Wed 09-Sep-09 16:23:50

Friends always comment how undoggy our house smells too - but think that's because we have mainly wooden floors and I have slight OCD when it comes to cleaning :-)

lol at the poo comment claricebeansmum - ours have a penchant for fox poo as well...something to do with disguising their scent when hunting apparently!!

fruitshootsandheaves Wed 09-Sep-09 16:27:43

my springer doesn't smell...much

well... unless he has just emerged from the pond where he goes when he gets hot!

he is very bouncy and energetic though. You can get calmer ones, just don't go for ones from working parents.

fruitshootsandheaves Wed 09-Sep-09 16:28:31

oh he does shed..we have tumbleweed fur balls in our house grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now