Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GoneCuckoo Wed 09-Sep-09 12:43:59

A pet rock?

clayre Wed 09-Sep-09 12:46:21

a goldfish?

steamedtreaclesponge Wed 09-Sep-09 12:47:45

Rats? I know some people find them icky but they are a lot more intelligent and fun than hamsters, stay awake during the day, and I think they make lovely pets. You can train them to do things, and let them run about without worrying about them escaping down the nearest hole (could never do this with mice or hamsters!)

Gerbils are also very sweet - again, they're not nocturnal and are fun to keep. They have Houdini-like escaping powers though so you have to keep them secure, although we did use to let ours out and build obstacle courses for them (you just have to keep a close eye out!). They are also much better than hamsters because they dig tunnels - keep them in a large fishtank filled with sawdust and they will happily burrow away whilst you watch, like ants do.

steamedtreaclesponge Wed 09-Sep-09 12:48:57

Oh, and rats are quite happy being handled lots. Gerbils, not so much.

squirrel42 Wed 09-Sep-09 12:58:30

Gerbils have tails but they're not horrible! They aren't "naked" tails like rats have, and are longer and thinner with a tufty bit on the end. They're very cute when wrapped around the gerbil being washed or flicked around!

pic here

ZZZenAgain Wed 09-Sep-09 13:05:18

what about those little mice than jump around a lot? Argh what are they called? they're a lot of fun to watch , so active, cheap to feed and don't need much room.

SomeGuy Wed 09-Sep-09 13:10:02

rabbits.

MrsMagnolia Wed 09-Sep-09 13:47:12

squirrel42 Wed 09-Sep-09 13:50:01

Gerbs aren't nocturnal - that's hammies! Gerbils are active during the day, usually up and about a lot in the morning and evenings. But if the OP isn't keen on their rodent-ish-ness then best leave them to us rodent-lovers.

I would love to have ferrets...

wannaBe Wed 09-Sep-09 13:51:43

what about a bird? Budgie/coccatiel? Budgies are easy to tame and will sit on your hand, coccatiels are bigger, but if tamed they are lovely and will allow you to pet/cuddle them/will sit on your shoulder/mine used to follow me around the house!

GrimmaTheNome Wed 09-Sep-09 13:55:31

If you can't have bigger furries, and you don't like something as rodenty as a gerbil and even a GP may be too large, its hard to think of a mammal. And you don't like fish or reptiles...

So how about a bird? I don't know anything about keeping them but some of the budgie type things seem quite entertaining.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 09-Sep-09 13:56:17

gringreat minds!

Iklboo Wed 09-Sep-09 13:59:25

Shame about ratties. Their tails are actually quite silky and the rats are SOOOOO sweet. Ours used to climb all over us, groom my hair....

I MISS MY GIRLS (SOB)

CantThinkofFunnyName Wed 09-Sep-09 14:13:52

Guinea pigs! We have a rabbit hutch and run in the garden and have 3 cavies in there. I am allergic to cats/dogs, have a phobia of birds (don't ask!) and yet a 10 yr old DS who is MAD about all types of animals. Winter will be fine, just give them loads of hay to burrow in each day, a hutch hugger to give a little extra warmth and we cover the hutch with tarpaulin at night to keep away the stiff winter breeze/snow etc.

beautifulgirls Wed 09-Sep-09 14:31:00

I know people who are allergic to rabbits and guinea pigs too - you may need to consider going and handling some first before you reach a decision about which pet will work. At least however they could have a hutch outside or in a shed though.

spugs Wed 09-Sep-09 15:22:17

My sister in law is allergic to dogs and cats and has the same reaction off guinea pigs and other small furries.

What about a tortoise?

lazydog Wed 09-Sep-09 22:24:37

Spugs: Great idea apart from the fact that the OP stated "easyish to look after and won't need too much space?" so I'm afraid that rules out a tortoise...

Plus, they're reptiles, which she doesn't like! (how can anyone not fall for one of these though?: www.lazydogacres.com/images/Tort&Dandelion.jpg )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now