Talk

Advanced search

Just saw a flea on my pillow!! what treatment

(13 Posts)
woodenchair Sat 05-Sep-09 08:09:15

I feel a bit sick actually.

Will be buying frontline for the cats today, but what do I need to do with the bed?

Help!

missingtheaction Sat 05-Sep-09 08:15:56

Get spray from the pet shop. spray everything especially the carpets; both sides of pillows, duvets etc, under the bed

wash all bedding as hot as you can

use frontline or whatever regularly every month

Don't worry, happens to most of us at some stage. Along with nits and threadworms.

foofi Sat 05-Sep-09 08:18:57

Are you sure it's not a nit?

woodenchair Sat 05-Sep-09 08:22:46

Do nits jump?

missingtheaction Sat 05-Sep-09 08:27:17

Just had to Google that question - do nits jump - and got definitive 'no'. So if it jumps it's not a nit. I never knew that!

PuppyMonkey Sat 05-Sep-09 08:30:22

Wilkos do a really cheap flea spray, works a treat.

woodenchair Sat 05-Sep-09 08:30:46

Yuck.

Well I least I know what I'm dealing with! [shudders].

I have to see vet for new frontline I think. There is some in the draw but it's 2 years out of date, do you think it will be ok? or am I pushing it

woodenchair Sat 05-Sep-09 08:32:05

thanks puppy, I have a wilkos v near will try there first, will be cheaper than pets at home

Crapweasel Sat 05-Sep-09 08:42:30

Get the frontline combo which will kill any fleas that jump back onto the cat (and they will to feed) and will eventually break the cycle.

Wash bedding (your and cats - not at the same time!) at 60.

Hoover, hoover, hoover - especially around skirting and under furniture.

This should do the job eventually without any toxic sprays etc. My vet was very against me using stuff like that with a baby around.

woodenchair Sat 05-Sep-09 10:10:05

Not a good morning! Have just found 2 on ds, does anyone know what to do about him, I don't think that frontline is licensed for humans!!

beautifulgirls Sat 05-Sep-09 10:13:33

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pets/797238-Get-rid-of-fleas-on-cat-frontline-didn-39-t

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pets/815814-Frontline-Combo-39-only-39-lasting-3-weeks-before-more

woodenchair Sun 06-Sep-09 10:17:24

I had to buy normal front line in the end, they wouldn't sell me the combo without seeing the cats, and our normal vet is closed on sat morning. Hopefully it will work as they don't have it very often. Will look into Program for next month

It seems to be worst in our bedroom and bathroom (cats are now officially banned!) How far do I need to take the deep clean, bedding can be washed, carpets and mattress hoovered, but I'm concerned about our clothes. I have an open shelf which has clothes on it next to the carpet, also the wardrobe is built in with sliding doors so they are often open what about those?

bamboobutton Sun 06-Sep-09 10:26:46

get indorex.

it really is the best stuff you can get! its the only flea spray thats ever worked.

ds would get terribly bitten, at one time he had 20+ bites on him, he's only 18mo so it looked horrible on his small body. one treatment of indorex and they are gone the next day.

if you have a tumble drier bung everything you can in there on the hottest setting for about an hour and it will dry the feckers out.

i am sceptical hoovering alone will get rid of them, uless you have time/energy to pull all the funiture out and hoover under it everyday for a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now