Talk

Advanced search

Do dogs go to heaven?

(12 Posts)
Spottyotter Tue 01-Sep-09 15:13:43

Had to put our beloved dog to sleep this morning. She was a rescue dog from wood green animal shelter and she had been with us for 15 years, through house moves up and down the country, the birth of ds, who she loved, but she'd been suffering from a liver complaint amongst other things and had completely lost her fighting spirit, was heartbreaking to see her like she was.
We lost her little brother 3 years ago, and the thought of them racing round together in some sort of doggy heaven is a massive comfort to me. Do not know what we are going to do without her.
Also. How do we tell ds? He's only 2.6 and have not got s clue what to say when he gets back later. She's always the first thing he asks for when he comes home.

abra1d Tue 01-Sep-09 15:19:04

We lost one of our elderly dogs three months ago and it was very sad. My empathy to you and your family.

The only thing I can say is that we felt better much more quickly than I thought we would: perhaps be cause she was elderly and we felt we had given her a good doggy life with lovely walks and lots of love. What more could they need? It felt like we'd been the full circle with her and now I just remember her with affection and peace.

I can't help but think that something of that love must survive in some form or somewhere.

(I should add that we still had another dog at home and have subsequently bought a puppy--so perhaps we were cushioned from the worst of the loss.)

beautifulgirls Tue 01-Sep-09 17:04:52

I had to put to sleep our old (15yrs) labrador in March and it was heartbreaking. The girls (3yrs and 4yrs old) obviously missed her (they were not with us at the time) and asked where she was. I explained to them that she had gone to doggy heaven because her poorly nose (she had a tumour) got a lot worse and we couldn't fix it here. I told them that in doggy heaven all the illnesses that cant be fixed are sorted out though and she has everything she wants there - friends, toys and food etc. They were of course sad as I had to explain she could not come back once she had gone to heaven, and asked why not/could we visit her etc - I told them it is just too far away and we can't get there. The angels came and collected her and helped her to get there safely though.

So that was my way of telling them - I like to believe that there is something beyond this life and that they (and we) will be happy after our time on earth. The girls whilst sad feel comforted that their friend is happy where she is and do not seem scared by it. Their nursery guinea pig died only a few weeks later and they were very quick to point out that our old dog would now be able to play with the guinea pig in heaven and they could be happy together!

Everyone is different of course and you will say what feels right to your DS to help him and you through this difficult time. It is not wrong to tell him you miss the dog, or even to cry with him if necessary if it helps you both. Your dog was clearly well loved and will be missed, but sad though I am even now at times, it does get easier to see the photos and not burst into tears.
Sorry for your loss sad

spugs Tue 01-Sep-09 18:41:56

They go over the rainbow bridge, thats what they say on the doggy forums. Sorry about your dog xx

silver73 Tue 01-Sep-09 18:58:28

Sorry to hear about your loss. I've been there many times and it feels like your heart has been torn out. I think dogs have souls. There is a wonderful book called something like when your animal dies and it is full of stories saying that they do go to heaven. Everytime one of my beloved animals dies I read it from cover to cover.

I think this poem sums up dogs perfectly
www.readprint.com/work-970/The-Power-Of-The-Dog-Rudyard-Kipling

spugs Tue 01-Sep-09 19:22:54

here you go found this on the many tears rescue site (to anyone reading they do brilliant work and if your considering a dog look at their lovely dogs on their site)
ust this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they each miss someone very special, someone who was left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly, he breaks from the group, flying over the green grass, faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into those trusting eyes, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together...
Author Unknown

Yes.

Katisha Tue 01-Sep-09 20:04:19

Oh they are definitely in heaven.

thesunshinesbrightly Sat 05-Sep-09 00:35:23

I am so sorry for your loss
i send my love and hugs to you and your family.

I love that poem
when i had to have my beloved cat put to sleep as there was not anthing i or the vets could do for him, it is heartbreaking

but i am certain they go to rainbow bridge and this brings alot of comfort.

shockers Sat 05-Sep-09 00:52:08

If the lion and the lamb are in there then surely are beloved pets are there too... free from pain in paradise!!

shockers Sat 05-Sep-09 00:53:51

our beloved pets...

SOLOisMeredithGrey Sat 05-Sep-09 01:02:25

Yes, all good dogs go to Heaven.

I'm sorry for your loss. It is awful losing any family member

My Dd 'knew' when my doggie was no longer with us. She completely stopped going into the dining room to see her(lazy dog always in bed), she didn't do it even once from the morning that she died. Dd was 17 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now