Talk

Advanced search

Which small dog to get with a one year old dd?

(15 Posts)
mummy2isla Mon 31-Aug-09 20:46:25

We have a 14 month old who absolutely loves dogs .. my husband has had terriers (I don't like) and I've previously had springer spaniels (too big esp considering that although currently I've been made redundant and am at home I may go back to work - in which case we'd have a dog walker) - any suggestions?

So far we are thinking king charles spaniel, any other suggestions?

Thanks! x

spugs Tue 01-Sep-09 08:27:24

bichon frise, king charles both are good with kids. What about a rescue greyhound? Big but lovely dogs.

esselle Tue 01-Sep-09 08:34:00

We have a West Highland terrier. She is very good with our DD 5y and DS 21mo. She is very playful and full of energy - just like the DCs!!

She really doesn't cost a lot to feed (and does compact easy to pick up poo!). She is a small dog with a big dog attitude!!

Just make sure you get training/obedience classes - they are definately worth it.

aGalChangedHerName Tue 01-Sep-09 13:01:41

We have a 15 week old Bichon Frise who is a sweetheart!!

Doesn't cast hair at all which is a plus. My dd's are able to (they are 5 and 3) take her lead when we are out walking.

jomorgan Tue 01-Sep-09 16:19:13

How about a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel...they are slightly bigger than a King Charles with less squashed faces. We have one and hes so layed back and gentle and really good with children. Also they are more robust as obv that bit bigger than the king charles spaniel so arent quite so fragile, which is good if u have young children!

MmeLindt Tue 01-Sep-09 16:24:47

We have a Maltese Terrier/Cavalier King Charles (called Maltalier sometimes).

Warning, Cute Puppies

Our dog is absolutely fab. Sweet, loyal, very affectionate, great with the DC, does not shed at all. The other puppies in her litter are the same temperament.

mummy2isla Tue 01-Sep-09 20:22:14

OH MY GOD MmeLindt they are so cute. So cute!!!!!!!!!11

Saw a Cavalier King Charles today and fell in love with him. But my mum has just given me a big pep talk about thinking through the consequences (yes I am in my thirties, married, a solicitor, with a child!) and she may have a point. But puppies are so cute! oh fgs. Going to look at Maltese now too...just don't know what to do!!

mummy2isla Tue 01-Sep-09 20:23:28

BTW saw some Bichon Frise also ... very cute but not qute our thing. My dh is 6'6" and couldn't see himself walking it!!

MmeLindt Wed 02-Sep-09 07:44:10

Bichon Frise and Maltese are about the same size.

Don't worry about the size of dog in relation to your DH. Any dog is going to look a bit titchy next to him. Unless you get a St Bernhards.

DH wanted a slightly bigger dog, we were looking at Border Terriers. It just so happened that someone in the village had puppies for sale and they were Maltese.

DH was not keen but now he and Daphne are inseperable. She greets him before she even looks at me. Bloody traitor

Have a look on my profile at the pics.

thegrowlygus Wed 02-Sep-09 07:52:26

Can I put in a vote for miniature schnauzers? We have one who has been an absolute star with our 2 (we had him before they arrived too). The only time he has ever even so much as done a low little growl is when DS1 sat on his head. Actually sat on it. I would've done more than a little growl!!!

They don't shed fur, are good with children (and anyone really), aren't very noisy, and they have a beard. What more can you ask for?!

Disenchanted3 Wed 02-Sep-09 07:55:59

we have 2 pug puppies and they are ace

Really good with our 8 month old, 3 yr old and 4 yr old.

My mum has a 7 year old pug too and my boys have grown up with him and he has never so much as barked at them, hes the softest thing ever.

I also like King Charles Spaniels.

AvadaKedavra Wed 02-Sep-09 07:57:53

Does anyone have a teacup/miniature Yorkie?

MmeLindt Wed 02-Sep-09 09:20:50

My mum's neighbour has a yorkie. In fact this is the second yorkie that she has had. Bloody thing barks incessantly, drives us all around the bend. I don't think she walks it though, never see her out with the dog. Not sure if is the breed of dog or just the non-activity but that put me off yorkshire terriers for life.

gingerbunny Wed 02-Sep-09 09:42:44

cav king charles are the best, imo, with children, we had a lovely one, who was completely fantastic.

thesunshinesbrightly Wed 02-Sep-09 22:12:44

i think all small dogs a snappy little buggers.
how come you cant have a bigger dog??

i certainly wouldn't have a terrier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now