Talk

Advanced search

The cat is driving me insane!!!

(8 Posts)
lolapoppins Mon 31-Aug-09 08:41:59

We have two lovely two and a half year old cats, brothers from the same litter, both neutered. They are indoor cats, for various reasons, but partly because one of the cats was the runt of the litter and is sometimes a little slow and wouldn't last a day outside(i.e he will be walking on a sofa, not reaslised he's at the end and keep on walking, but to be fair, this has got better with age). Vet thinks his eyesight is a bit ropey, as he does not move his eyes, he moves his head and his pupils are dilated most of the time, and we tend to agree with them. All in all very they are happy fellas, we live in a large house so they have plenty of room to run around etc.

Over the past few weeks, on of the cats (the slower one) has been a complete nightmare. He has suddenly stopped using the litter tray for no apparent reason, prefereing to pee in corners and poo under the sofas, or in the middle of the floor. He has also taken to attacking the other cat really horribly, ripping out hair and a chunk of his ear. Oh, and he has taken to peeing on the dogs bed, He's not spraying, he is urinating. They had a vet chack with thier yearly vacs alst week, he had a thourough check and is totally healthy, not in any pain.

What can I do to entice him back to a tray? There are two large litter trays he can use, but he just will not now. Love hime to bits, but the peeing and attacking is getting silly!

whomovedmychocolate Mon 31-Aug-09 19:51:19

Something has happened which has traumatised him. Doesn't really matter what. I'm afraid you need a separate tray for him and the other cat. Preferably in different rooms. And confine the cat to 'his' room till he gets the picture. You can get back from this but it takes a few weeks.

lolapoppins Mon 31-Aug-09 20:00:53

Yes, thats what we thought we would have to do. They always used separate trays anyhow, at either end of a large room, seemed to suit them well, but one day he just stopped using it.

I can't think of what has upset him though, we've not been away, not had anyone in the house apart from us.

I know he will also keep being attracted to the places that he has urinated, but how do I get rid of the smell to stop him being drawn to it? It's in all the down stairs rooms as well, not just in one, so there is no one room we can keep him where he hasn't urinated. At first, I thought it may have been a urinary infection, but vet ruled it out.

We'll have to persevere to get him back on track.

whomovedmychocolate Mon 31-Aug-09 20:33:41

Biological washing powder dissolved in boiling water then cooled and swabbed on the area - bear in mind cat urine splatters the walls as well as the floor hmm

Our cat got traumatised once by waking up when the window cleaner was working on the window next to the bed he was on hmm Cats are decidedly odd in this respect.

Rumpel Mon 31-Aug-09 20:37:44

Don't use bleach whateveryou do! You could try a pheronome (sp) plug to relax him or some valerian tablets

www.dorwest.com/?gclid=COX7trfSzpwCFVUA4wodTg9HKQ

Joolsiam Mon 31-Aug-09 20:43:02

Several things you can do

1 - buy a Feliway diffuser - emits pheromones that calm cats down and really, really works

2 - Try Zylkene tablets - a milk based capsule that you open up and sprinkle on food - supposed to be calming and confidence building and have worked for me

3 - Try Cat Attract litter - entices cats back to the litter tray as some additive in it is irresistible to them

All the above available at Vet UK

The cleaning product I used is fab - Odour Control Disinfectant and it goes a long way as you dilute it quite considerably for day to day use

Offering separate trays in different places / on different floors is also a good idea - trial it for a while and keep the ones the prove popular / discard the rest

Good luck

lolapoppins Mon 31-Aug-09 20:51:11

Thankyou for all the ideas. Will crack on with cleaning up where he has been.

Blinkin cat, he's just lucky he's so cute smile

madusa Tue 01-Sep-09 08:02:56

i got a feliway to ensure "happy cats" but instead, one of them starting pooing in corners and my furniture is shredded!

Doesn't have the happy affect I was hoping for either, one of my cats is attacking all of the others!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now