Talk

Advanced search

Which puppy? Golden retriever or lab?

(20 Posts)
rupertsabear Sat 29-Aug-09 15:00:50

What's the difference? I've always wanted a golden, as they're so beautiful, but is there something I should know? (I have 3 rowdy sons!).

pasturesnew Sat 29-Aug-09 15:06:46

Golden Retrievers often have hip problems, not sure about Labradors, I always thought they were pretty much the same breed. Both lovely dogs. Labs tend to have shorter hair but I'm not sure this makes much difference to housekeeping though!

cheesesarnie Sat 29-Aug-09 15:07:59

lab.am envy id love a lab

FattipuffsandThinnifers Sat 29-Aug-09 15:30:14

There isn't much difference. Labs are usually a bit bigger, and usually short-haired but not always. There are yellow Labradors too, just to confuse you!

I am also so so so so envy.

JeMeSouviens Sat 29-Aug-09 15:41:45

Just to confuse things, we had a x of gold lab/ retriever. She had short hair. No problems health wise until very ancient and had a little athritis and cancer.

She was a lovely natured dog and protective of the family. I remember being out on an inner tube in the sea (was anchored on the shore), if she thought we were out too far, she'd drag the rope back in.

Dad has since had straight golden labs, and thinks the pure breeds are quite loopy in comparison to a cross breed.

minimu Sat 29-Aug-09 18:10:47

If you like hoovering and grooming dogs get a golden retriever -if not a lab!!!

Godlies tend to bark a bit more than labs and will come back from every walk with bracken and trees attached to their tails but will always be happy!

Both dogs will love a busy family and will join in with every activity

notjustapuppymum Sat 29-Aug-09 18:49:43

Goldens and Labs are prone to hip and joint problems, as are many larger dogs.
We have two goldens and they are the happiest, most affectionate and kind natured dogs you could ever come across.

PlumBumMum Sat 29-Aug-09 18:54:36

Our lab had arthritis and got cataracts hes now 11 and has the best temprement(sp) easily trained I just love him but he's getting on nowsad

theDMplagiarisedLeonie Sat 29-Aug-09 18:57:08

Message withdrawn

aprilflowers Sat 29-Aug-09 21:16:38

I have a lab cross and she is clever, brilliant with children especially rowdy boys -labs will have the energy for them and treat them as her pups.
Although labs [ not sure about golden retrievers] are very lively until two or three and chew everything when puppies
But I think they are the best dogs ever

smultronstallet Sat 29-Aug-09 21:31:11

I would never have a Golden Retriever - my parents have one and you have to hoover and groom the dog constantly or your house and car will be adrift with huge swathes of long fluffy dog hair, which seems to cover all your dark clothing for ever no matter how often you brush it off. Nice placid loyal dogs though.

Labs are lovely family dogs too though esp for a young family. Labs need a lot of exercise as they tend to run to fat as they age.

rupertsabear Sat 29-Aug-09 23:23:58

Yes, I think dh is going to find the hair difficult - maybe a dark lab so it doesn't show on his suits is the answer!

The other breed I'm considering is the Bouvier des Flandres - does anyone have experience?

NanaNina Sun 30-Aug-09 15:37:47

Oh take care rupertsabear about this......if your dh is going to find the hair difficult you willhave a problem even with a dark lab. I have had yellow and black labs and both shed hair that shows on clothes. I wear a lot of black clothes and like you thought the black hairs wouldn't show, but they certainly do.

Don't want to put you off as labs (which are incidentally labrador retrievers)as opposed to golden retrievers as both are wonderful dogs. However are you prepared for about 4 months of needle like small teeth that can really hurt. They drop out at around 4 months and then there is less of a problem but puppy behaviour (chewing, boisterousness and running off in the park etc) can last for up to 2 years. Mind I think it is worth this for then you have many years of a faithful and lovely pet. My son recently acquired a lab puppy and his expectations of him were unrealistic i.e. thinking he was being defiant at 6 months for not coming back when called etc. You may well be an experiened dog owner and know all of this stuff anyway but just thought I'd mention it in case you are not. Also goes without saying all the family have to be in favour of getting a dog. My son's partner was none too keen and found the first 18 months or so very trying but is fine now that the dog is behaving sensibly. I read a book called "How to have a well mannered dog" which I found invaluable as I had not been brought up around dogs and didn't know what to expect.

Don't know anything about the other breed that you mention but have had a yellow and black lab and would never want another breed as I don't think they can be beaten especially around children.

Wishing you happy dog day ahead........

minimu Sun 30-Aug-09 18:54:39

Bouvier des Flandres are actually guard dogs and again if you don't like hair dont get one as they will need to be groomed regularly.However if groomed regularly they should not shed too much in the house. You will also have to have them trimmed a few times a year. They are generally good with children but are loyal watch dogs. They will need consistent handling and when they learn a command they tend to learn it for live. However they do need to be very sure of who is the boss as their guarding instinct is strong. I would not recommend them as a first time dog but for an experienced dog handler who loves hairs, grooming hours of exercise loads of money they are big for feeding, and time for training they would be great. They can slubber too!
Health wise need to check for Hip dysplsia and eye problems otherwise generally healthloy I think.
They are beautiful dogs

rupertsabear Mon 31-Aug-09 13:50:17

thanks Minimu. The Bouvier breeder is quite nearby, and is a professional in dog therapy for SN children (it's a family concern and they have children of their own too). She also offers training, pet holidays, advice and help for the life of the dog. I think I will go and visit in the week and talk through the whole thing with them. It's not the grooming per se that bothers me, it's the shedding all over everything in the house, although for the most part we have wood floors.

I realise that a puppy is hard work. I prefer to get a puppy than an adult dog though.

rupertsabear Mon 31-Aug-09 13:53:40

Actually, re goldens and grooming - is brushing the dog thoroughly once per day the sort of thing we're talking about? If so, that's OK.

notjustapuppymum Mon 31-Aug-09 14:54:54

I brush mine two or three times a week. They shed 2-3 times per year but tbh I don't find the hair that much of an issue, even with two. I hoover every day but as we have all wooden floors in the rooms they're allowed in, it's pretty easy as the fur tends to ball up and drift to the edges of the room so you just run the hoover wand round and it's done.
As for brushing up against your partner's clothes - well you just have to keep lots of lint rollers handy, in every car, by the front door etc.!!

newpup Mon 31-Aug-09 15:11:34

I have a 15 month old golden lab and my Db has a golden retriever. They are both wonderful dogs, loyal, obedient, great with children just FAB dogs.

The only downside is the moulting both moult copiously but the retrievers hair is long and seems to spread further and their fur needs a trim now and then and can get very knotty. Labs have low maintenance fur and just require a quick brush every few days!

Both lovely dogs but labs win for me any day!!

minimu Mon 31-Aug-09 19:39:17

Rupertsabear if you have an expereince trainer nearby for advice and holidays etc it sounds fantastic. Any problems could be sorted early. The Bouviers I have had contact with didn't seem to shred around the house like goldies once they had been groomed. They are gorgeous dogs would love one myself as well as a goldie, lab.....etc
I love puppies and yes they are hard work but it does not last as long as with children!

maryz Mon 31-Aug-09 20:18:34

Puppies of both are time-consuming (they eat everything), both need lots of excercise, both are great with children.

I have a goldie, and he is wonderful with rowdy boys - ds1 has Asperger's and I think our dog has really helped him. The children used to spend hours rugby tackling the dog, and dog and children spent a lot of time of the trampoline. He is really gentle, but....

He is very very very very hairy. He sheds all year round, he blocks up any hoover, we only have wooden floors but hoovering our one mat can take up to an hour.

He is white, and his hairs get on everything and everywhere, sofas, kitchen, food (ugh), everywhere. Even into rooms he isn't allowed in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now