Talk

Advanced search

does anyone keep guppies? I just bought 6 and they're hiding

(12 Posts)
Alambil Sat 29-Aug-09 02:09:09

on top of the filter pump, no less...!

jancolls Sat 29-Aug-09 09:16:57

Try turning off the automatic light, it might be too bright for them at the moment, or you could try changing the filament to something softer. Your local aquarium dealer could advise.

Have they got enough hiding places? Make sure there are plants and ornaments [please make sure that anything with holes, has ones that are big enough for them - I lost a fish who got stuck in one] where they can hide for a while.

They will become confident eventually, but at the moment they've got a new home and everything is stressing them a bit. Just allow them some space, as long as they are feeding ok and seem otherwise well, its nothing to worry about.

sweetnitanitro Sat 29-Aug-09 18:44:31

If you've only just got them then they will be nervous but it could be a sign of something else.

Is your tank properly mature? Have a read of this
If your tank is mature, have you got any other fish that might be scaring the guppies?

And jancolls is dead right, the more hiding places you provide, the more you will see of your fish. Crazy but true grin

catinthehat2 Sat 29-Aug-09 18:49:48

My goodness I'm going to look in on this thread again. Are you really saying that fish have feelings? and do interesting things?

sweetnitanitro Sat 29-Aug-09 19:00:57

Yep, they can learn tricks too! Mine feed out of my hand, it's brilliant. They are actually really complex and misunderstood pets, I am quite geeky about them grin

catinthehat2 Sat 29-Aug-09 19:08:29

Well the first time I thought fish might be interesting (other than in a coating of batter) was snorkelling over a shallow reef in Australia.

NOBODY TOLD ME THAT THEY MAKE NOISES!!!!!

Honestly I thought I had something wrong with my ears as all these pretty little fishies were swimming round my head and cheeping. It was beyond bizarre.

Alambil Sat 29-Aug-09 19:47:38

They're riding the waves of the filter pump! but its not making that many waves...

there's loads of hiding places for them and no other inhabitants.

the tank has been running a year so it's plenty mature enough I rekon - I think they're getting braver because they swim down to the bottom for 10 seconds then return to the top to hide!

I want to know why they're staying at the top though and not going down into the tank

sweetnitanitro Sat 29-Aug-09 19:49:53

When you say it's been running a year, has it been empty the whole time? Have you been adding ammonia? Have you got a water testing kit, that will clear up any water quality concerns.

Alambil Sat 29-Aug-09 23:18:04

it's been running and had white cloud minnows in until the day before yesterday so it is cycled... I could take a sample to Pets at home to test just incase I guess...

They are still surfing the waves / staying near the light rays (it's a light outside the tank) and only going south for a few seconds at a time

the tank has a lot of fake plants and hidey holes - do you think they need real plants instead? (I am NOT good at keeping aquatic plants!)

sweetnitanitro Sun 30-Aug-09 10:53:24

I am crap at keeping plants too, don't worry grin you could try getting some cryptocrynes, they are so easy to grow. It's the only thing I've never killed. You;d need a light inside the tank. Fake plants are fine though.

Have you got an airstone in there?

Alambil Mon 31-Aug-09 01:08:31

no airstone - just filter pump with a valve for o2 to get in or something

I gave them some frozen daphnia today - they LOVED that and even came to the bottom of the tank to get it, which is good - they aren't incapable!

sweetnitanitro Mon 31-Aug-09 22:00:28

Well at least they've got a good appetite grin what's the temperature of the water?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now