Talk

Advanced search

I think we're going to lose my old cat soon and I am so very sad :(

(14 Posts)
Jacksmama Fri 28-Aug-09 20:05:58

My little old man cat, Bucky, is 13 and a bit. If he lives that long, which I doubt, he'd be 14 in November. I've had him since a tiny kitten when I was doing my post-grad studies.

When I first got him, he was so tiny that he fit in the hollow under my collar bone and that's where he slept nights. He had such a fantastic personality, came when called, snuggled, played, put up with two different cat companions, tolerated two cross-continent moves and the birth of DS last Feb.

Now I think he's failing. He's had some degree of kidney failure for several years but done ok with it, he drinks lots and still enjoys his wet food. But since we've come back from holidays (which the cats spent in spoiled and adored splendour at MIL's) he's gone from thin to skinny. And fragile. And slow. And craving water. He still leaps up - onto the couch, bed, bathroom counter etc, but he's not the same.

I think he's going to leave us soon. And I hope he just falls asleep. At the first sign that he's suffering I'm going to take him to the vet's to say goodbye.

I am so sad.

ilovesprouts Fri 28-Aug-09 20:10:10

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 28-Aug-09 20:13:08

sad

I am so sorry.

I have had my cat since she was 5 weeks and she was so small she used to sleep in a tissue box grin. Once I spent 2 hours looking for her - she was under the quilt with her head on my pillow.

Mine will be 15 on Monday and I dread the day her illness or another one takes her.

I spoil her when I can, I don't know how long I have her left for.

Jacksmama Fri 28-Aug-09 20:57:26

Thank you <sniff>.

I once thought I'd lost him when he was little. He'd somehow gotten into a drawer and made a nest in my favourite nightie with his sharp little claws. It was unwearable after. Somehow I didn't mind at all.

Amapoleon Fri 28-Aug-09 21:02:52

I'm so sorry.

I am grieving for my cat at he moment. He wasn't even 1. I found him in a bush and hand reared him. He was killed by the dogs on the building site next door.

I'm actually aching from missing him.

CarGirl Fri 28-Aug-09 21:02:59

<<howl>> my first cat we rehomed him when he was 7ish and he got a tumour about 13. I'm not naturally a cat person but I fell for him, gave him a home and I miss him so much still.

bibbitybobbityhat Fri 28-Aug-09 21:07:24

This is awful Jacks - but I do think its a happy thing that we can say goodbye to our pets and put them to sleep before they have suffered too much. You will know when the time is right, if it comes to that; hopefully one day he will just go to sleep and not wake up.

Give him lots of cuddles and attention and his favourite food and loads of photos til then.

And a big tummy tickle from me.

Jacksmama Fri 28-Aug-09 21:10:41

Oh Amapoleon. I'm so sorry. That is really awful. I don't know what to say - how terrible.
(((HUGS)))

CarGirl, you sound like my stepdad. Not naturally a cat person - had a Black Lab he adored for 11 years and refused any other pets when he died - he and Mum adopted a stray (Lucy) and her kitten (Georgina) and Lucy is now my dad's cat. She jumped in his arms when he was working one day and fell asleep and he missed an appointment because he refused to wake her up. Too, too sweet.

CarGirl Fri 28-Aug-09 21:33:20

DH is a total cat person, and really doesn't like dogs & is frightened of them so I'll never get my dog. Issue now is that we've had 2 cats that are very people orientated not sure we'll be able to get a 3rd one like that IYSWIM Basically they were more dog like than 95% of the feline population none of this aloofness.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 29-Aug-09 08:38:35

How is pusscat this morning, Jacks?

Jacksmama Sat 29-Aug-09 17:05:08

We had to take him to the vet and let him go this morning at 8 am.
Thank you for asking.

I am so sad.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 29-Aug-09 17:06:46

Oh no.

I am so sorry.

Try and take comfort in that it wasn't prolonged.

sad

<sends wine and chocolate>

ilovesprouts Sat 29-Aug-09 20:24:20

so sorry to hear of your cat ive been there whith my cat/dog so its so very sad ,he will be up there chasing my cats sooty&molly xx

Jacksmama Sat 29-Aug-09 22:17:27

Thank you. Wine and chocolate help. The worst was having to go to work this morning and keeping it together. Fortunately I started my day with a lovely patient who didn't mind me shedding a few tears on her... people can be so kind.
I'm done work now (I'm 8 hours behind you all) and I am going home and having some of that wine.

Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now