Talk

Advanced search

whining dog - any suggestions please?

(7 Posts)
smackapacka Fri 28-Aug-09 14:12:14

We have an 8 year old rescue mongrel. We've had him for 3 years. In those 3 years we've had a DD (now 19mo), and moved house. He's only really left on his own now for 2 afternoons per week, other than that we're around. He gets walked at least 45 mins per day, usually more.

Our problem is that he's REALLY clingy. I'm upstairs and I can hear him internittently squeaking downstairs. I came home from the shop earlier having been our for an hour and he gets so overexcited. He's a brilliant dog in EVERY way and is a much loved member of the family but this whining and squeaking when he's our of our sight is getting really irritating.

It actually seems to be getting worse the less we leave him IYKWIM. Earlier I let him upstairs to sit with me on the PC and then every time I get up to go to the loo or answer trhe phone he follows me. I should be flattered really!

Any advice? Maybe clearer boundaries...

FluffySaysTheDailyMailsShite Fri 28-Aug-09 14:15:59

sad aww, it sounds like he's had a really tough time before he came to you, I'd imagine he can't bear to leave you because he needs to feel safe. Could you get him a giant teddy?? I've no idea really, he sounds like a lovely little thing though.

smackapacka Fri 28-Aug-09 14:27:51

He is lovely, thank-you Fluffy.

Last week our smoke alarm had a low battery and made that intermittent beeping sound. He went and cowered in the garden until we quickly changed the battery. We know he actually got removed from his old owner as they couldn't look after him and he was grossly overweight, (so not sure if he had any exercise), but we also wondered if he's been trapped in something awful like a house fire.

Funnily enough I got given a big teddy for DD last weekend. I'm going to put an old jumper on it and put it in his basket.

(I feel awful for being so intolerant now I've just re-read that).

cluckyagain Fri 28-Aug-09 14:29:58

Hi - I would watch The Dog Whisperer - he's def dealt with dogs and problems like this and does get them out of it - can't remember how but I love him!! Google him - they have bits on youtube too. x

FluffySaysTheDailyMailsShite Fri 28-Aug-09 14:30:10

No, it's like a small child following you around, it's enough to drive you up the wall after a while, no matter how sweet it is.
He sounds incredibly nervous sad

smackapacka Fri 28-Aug-09 15:09:24

Well the teddy seems to be a hit ) (He's wearing my socks!)

I have seen the dog whisperer before but I'll do some more research.

FluffySaysTheDailyMailsShite Fri 28-Aug-09 15:12:40

grin Brilliant!! It may stop him from feeling lonely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now