Talk

Advanced search

Not sure where to put this - there is a dead rat in my garden

(16 Posts)
PrincessToadstool Tue 25-Aug-09 14:08:06

I assume killed by one of my cats (I am just thankful they didn't bring it in like most of the things they catch)

I hope it wasnt someone elses pet, it does have a cute look about it and is not giantic

Anyway

what do I do with it? Bury it? Wheelie bin? Cremation?

claricebeansmum Tue 25-Aug-09 14:10:17

ugggh

It is not cute. It is vermin. If it had chewed through your electric cables you wouldn't think it was cute.

Wheelie bin.

Wrap up in couple of plastic bags.

(Are you going to remove it yourself?hmm)

SlartyBartFast Tue 25-Aug-09 14:11:53

i am not sure if you are allowed to wheelie bin in?

Pikelit Tue 25-Aug-09 14:13:17

Dig hole. Stick rat in it. Cover.
(Or quietly lob corpse over fence)

PrincessToadstool Tue 25-Aug-09 14:13:22

I think rats are horrifically ugly things so really trust me on this, it does not look evil, can't see huge teeth or anything

actually am even scared of them since finding out they can chew through brick

It is staying put till DP gets home, but yes plastic bags sound good, rubbish is not collected until NEXT Thursday though

PrincessToadstool Tue 25-Aug-09 14:14:23

LOL at lob it over the fence, we have neighbours either side and to the back

oh crap are they classed as dangerous waste?

FIL said once upon a time you would get 5 shillings for a dead rat

BigGobMum Tue 25-Aug-09 14:14:54

Just put it in the wheely bin (wrapped).

IOnlyReadtheDailyMailinCafes Tue 25-Aug-09 14:15:52

Ours cats bring something in daily, we lob it over the fence - it is the cess pit area so I dont think anyone minds.

PrincessToadstool Tue 25-Aug-09 14:20:30

Mice, birds and bats go in the bin, never worried about that, it just seems so ... big.

IOnly... sounds lovely!

IOnlyReadtheDailyMailinCafes Tue 25-Aug-09 14:24:53

We get mainly rabbits, birds, mice, voles {sp?} and shrews. Luckily have never had a rat.

We have a badminton racket that we save for lobbing.

PrincessToadstool Tue 25-Aug-09 14:26:22

Rabbits shock good god I was going to get a pet rabbit next year shock

Both LOL and boak at badminton racket, I hope it is well-labelled in case anyone wanted to borrow it

MaybeAfterBreakfast Tue 25-Aug-09 14:26:24

If you want a 'least contact' approach, get a newspaper, a couple of carrier bags, and a spade. Quickly flick rat onto the newspaper, then wrap the paper up and stick inside the bags. Dispose of in wheelie bin or nearest street corner bin/poo bin if you have one close by.

This is my technique for the many dead mice, rabbits, birds, etc we get in our garden.

IOnlyReadtheDailyMailinCafes Tue 25-Aug-09 14:28:29

We live in the middle of nowhere, no visible neigbours so they are wild rabbits.

The2ndMrsSantos Tue 25-Aug-09 14:29:00

Ring the council. Ours came round when we had this about a year ago and they put bait in a very safe place under decking (no way kids could get to it). The ratcatcher said v unlikely the cats got it - probably a fox and they found it dead and thought they'd claim some kudos for it [hmmm]. It's a free service here for everyone. We have just seen another rat so they are coming again. Good luck!

wilkos Tue 25-Aug-09 14:29:06

grin grin grin that you decide to put this in Pets!

oneopinionatedmother Tue 25-Aug-09 14:32:15

doesn't mean there are any in the house (scratching sounds late at night do that) and if there is putting poison beneath the floorboars readily disposes of them.

bin for dead rat though, if you have cats they dig up dead bodies. rats live at rubbish dumps in huge numbers anyway...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now