Talk

Advanced search

our old lab is going to die

(14 Posts)
queenrollo Mon 24-Aug-09 10:54:54

we have two labs. They are my partners and he has had Kelly for 10 years, he got her when she was three. She has been part of my life for two years, and seen me through one of the most emotionally difficult times of my life. Early this year she was diagnosed with bone cancer but it hasn't progressed. Last week we had to rush her to the vet when she couldn't get up in the morning. They operated and removed her spleen. It was full of tumours and one had ruptured, so she had massive internal bleeding.
She has perked up after the op and is back to her old self.
Vet phoned with lab report this morning and confirmed it is a different kind of cancer (they talked the likely outcomes through with us at the consultation) and it is aggressive. It will spread to another vital organ and rupture as it did with her spleen. We can expect this to happen in the next 6-8 weeks.

sad

she has had a great life, a long and healthy one. I'm so sad that we're now playing a waiting game and part of me hopes she just goes peacefully in her sleep one night before she has to suffer any more.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 24-Aug-09 12:39:59

Oh no.

I am so sorry. sad

Is there any chance of treatment?

sad

queenrollo Mon 24-Aug-09 13:55:09

there is the option on chemo, but the vet said she's never known anyone to take it because this cancer generally presents in very old dogs.
Kelly is 13, and now has two forms of cancer. She is and always has been very distressed by having to go to the vet, and so we think it better at this stage to let her have the quality of life (which currently is very good aside from the recent op, which she has recovered from remarkably) rather than make her last weeks/months on this planet full of stressful medical treatment. DP has just text me to say he has got his head round all of this but emotionally is understandably struggling.
We knew at her age that every day we got with her was a bonus, but having a timescale thrown into the mix makes it very sad indeed.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 24-Aug-09 13:59:17

It is the massive down side of having animals.

queenrollo Mon 24-Aug-09 14:19:57

yes it is, but the joy that we have had from sharing our lives with her far outweighs the sadness. The other lab we have is held together with wire, and though he's been through a lot he has a great life too. He's going to miss her very much, and at 9 i'm not sure how much longer we will have him. He has mobility issues which will only get worse as he gets older and so we know we will probably have to asses his quality of life in the future and decide when enough is enough but i'd do it all again.........

I have to decide how to deal with all of this with 4 year old ds too. He is at his dad's half the week, so it may happen when he is there. He walks Kelly as she is much calmer than the other dog and he is going to be upset, and i'm thinking that we should let him see her when she is gone as he still thinks being dead is just pretending and you come back to life.

NikkiH Mon 24-Aug-09 14:58:35

My heart goes out to you. We have a 12 year old golden retriever - 13 in November - and he's showing his age now and is on medication. I know he's on borrowed time but can't contemplate not having him around. I hope Kelly has a peaceful end for all your sakes - enjoy her til then.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 24-Aug-09 18:51:35

sadhope woofa goes peacefully in her sleep

though if she is suffereing it may be kinder tho harder for you, to have her put to sleep, so that she doesnt suffer pain etc rather than have her strugggle on for 6 weeks

queenrollo Mon 24-Aug-09 19:44:38

she is not in any pain at the moment, and the vet had been very clear about how long that is likely to be the case. She is still a very active and happy dog, eager to go for her usual long walk which she cannot at the moment because she needs to recover properly from her op.

DP is heartbroken but has said as soon as he sees a change in her then he will do what he has to do.

mj4ever Mon 24-Aug-09 22:02:07

this is so sad i'm nearly in tears reading this, god only know's how you and your family feel.
haven't got any advice but just wanted to send all of you my love.

LittleMissNorty Mon 24-Aug-09 22:05:16

My thoughts are with you. I have a lab and dread the day......

take plenty of pics....

Amapoleon Mon 24-Aug-09 22:05:24

I'm so sorry, it's heartbreaking.

brimfull Mon 24-Aug-09 22:07:16

so sorry

I know what you mean when you want them to die in their sleep

I started threads about this when my dog was dying at the beginning of the yr

It is so hard

oliviasmama Mon 24-Aug-09 22:21:57

You'll know when it's time and then as you know, you have a responsibility to do the right thing and have her put to sleep. I've been in that position and it's one of the hardest things ever but it's fantastic that we are able to do that for our beloved animals, if only it was the same for humans.

I hope she enjoys the rest of her time with you, try not to harbour on the sadness and enjoy her. I wish you the greatest of strength and a happy few weeks.

threekidsandadog Wed 26-Aug-09 11:28:42

hi im so sorry to hear about yr doggie friend. my wonderful sapphire died last august after a long peiod of painful treatment. she was my dog and my friend. we decided to put her to sleep rather than her cope with her pain. my vet was very understanding and altho th vet nurse held her leg for th injection, sapphire died in my arms with me telling her how much i loved her. im crying while typing this as th feelings r still quite raw. i understand how u r feeling. we have another dog now but i have wonderful memories of my beautiful saffy and lots of pictures too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now