Talk

Advanced search

Cats and clawing of carpets, i need some help :/

(4 Posts)
idobelieveinfairies Fri 21-Aug-09 23:55:06

I have 2 cats that are 18 mths old. I have just bought a lovely 'carpet like' rug for dd room and they have attacked it twice..just ripped up all the pile and so it looks horrible at only 2 days old

BUT what is worrying me the most is we want to get new carpets within in the next couple of months for the lounge, halls, stairs which will cost a lot of money and i am worried that they are going to do the same do them.

IS there any way of stopping them do this?? They have a great big cat scratch stand with lots of levels/textures and they don't even look at it angry.

Any ideas/advice?

Thanks.

TheOnlyDailyMaleForMeisDH Sat 22-Aug-09 14:25:14

All my very expensive sofas have rips in them! They generally do it when they feel their territory is under threat - do you have a new baby or anything? Or is it just the new rug? Personally I find standing next to a manky old chair and saying in a very loud voice 'if those fucking cats scratch this chair I'll marmellise them' works very well in ensuring they go for said manky old chair. hmm

Piglet111 Sat 22-Aug-09 15:59:27

Spray the cat scratchers with cat nip once a week. Also place them on the cat scratcher everytime you catch them scratching something they shouldn't. I have 4 cat scratchers, 1 just isn't enough!! They need to be place around the house. Also trim their nails, very simple to do with cats, I use human nail clippers, it tends to stop them scratching as much. HTH

idobelieveinfairies Mon 24-Aug-09 14:14:30

lol...i do threaten them with the sausage factory when they play up TODMFMIDH....but they don't care! The squirty water gun has worked well with their naughtiness too.

No baby, no new anything apart from the rug...they tend to just claw at the carpet a couple of times..you know when stretching..but they do stop as soon as i shout....but the rug is a different story..they have really gone to town on it.

Thanks piglet, i will invest in catnip...i do have a smaller scratch post that i will get out of the cupboard then..and put that downstairs and hopefully that will help.

Thank-you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now