Talk

Advanced search

Guinea Pigs: So they're meant to (erm) toilet in just one area .. meaning you clean that area every day...

(6 Posts)
Sagacious Fri 21-Aug-09 14:12:27

And clean the whole hutch out once a week

So why are my two going all over the upper floor? I don't mind cleaning but are they freaked out.. we've only had them six days .

Also (sorry for additional q but train of thought.. yaydaddayah... are they really really not clever enough to work out that theres another floor to there super duper "I don't like animals in cages so it'd better be a large one" cage. I put them in the bottom bit (after exercise/strokes in the seperate run) and they're still fecking there squeaking and looking a bit gormless.. Its just started to rain and I've but in some lovely bedding in there house bit and I want them to appreciate it (dammit!)

Sorry for essay (but the book I bought about GP 's doesn't cover it and I am going totally PFB on them.

MANATEEequineOHARA Fri 21-Aug-09 14:30:03

Guineas are not as good as rabbits like that, rabbits will totally only go in one place, guineas less so. And squeaking and looking gormless is very typical endearing guinea behaviour, all sounds normal to me!

MANATEEequineOHARA Fri 21-Aug-09 14:30:27

Guineas are not as good as rabbits like that, rabbits will totally only go in one place, guineas less so. And squeaking and looking gormless is very typical endearing guinea behaviour, all sounds normal to me!

Winetimeisfinetime Fri 21-Aug-09 14:51:17

Mine soil all over their hutch, even in the little house thing that they sleep in. I don't think they are capable of thinking much beyond the moment but make up for it with their lovely temperaments.

Because of this I just do a full clean out every couple of days or twice a week if they have been able to go into their outdoor hutch and run.

Lovely life being a Guninea Pig - eating, sleeping, squeaking, weeing, pooing and no stress whatsoever.

Sagacious Fri 21-Aug-09 15:09:37

Thanks (am paranoid I'm not doing things right!)

They were still in the lower deck oblivious to the ramp so I "helped" them up.

They haven't worked out the water bottle either so I'm giving them a water bowl as well.

grin at life of a guinea pig

MANATEEequineOHARA Fri 21-Aug-09 19:13:20

I just noticed, while thinking about this thread, that my only guinea who only uses one corner is the mutant male who lives out in a run all the time, so I don't really care if he is neat or not! But maybe cos the grass is his food he is more careful...hmm...philosophising on guinea life now...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now