Talk

Advanced search

WORMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(5 Posts)
livvylouis Wed 19-Aug-09 09:33:14

Hi.
We got our 10 week old puppy on monday, she is beautiful but we are pretty certain she has worms. We have been to visit the vets and she is being treated. But I am really worried about the worms already being passed to my children, they are only 4 and 2. I have been getting them to wash their hands after playing with the pup and before meal times but my 2 year old ds keeps letting pup lick his fingers, and I am sure he has then put them in his mouth before I have had chance to clean him.
I am now really paranoid, should I treat my children for worms? This should be a really happy time but I am finding that I am constantly worrying about letting puppy and children play together which is not what I want at allsad.

livvylouis Wed 19-Aug-09 12:34:42

Anyone?
Going insaine!!!

beautifulgirls Wed 19-Aug-09 12:52:34

Sensible hygiene is all that is needed. Children are not a natural host to these types of worms and for the most part will not have any problems from them should they come into contact/ingest eggs etc. Treating your children will not have any benefit to your children. You are already doing the right thing getting a decent wormer from the vet. Yes, occasionally children and worms from pets can cause issues but thankfully it is a very rare problem.
If you still have concerns why not have a chat with your pharmacist about the children?

livvylouis Wed 19-Aug-09 13:19:55

Thanks beautifulgirls, was hoping that was the case and that I was just being paraniod.
I will continue as I am for now and just keep an eye on the kids. Do you know if alcohol hand gel will be effective against the worms or do we have to physically wash our hands with soap and water?

beautifulgirls Wed 19-Aug-09 19:56:38

I would suggest soap and water is the best plan to physically remove them. I cant vouch for how alcohol gel will work as the eggs from these creatures are hugely resistant to all sorts of adverse environmental conditions and could I guess survive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now