Talk

Advanced search

Lead training a puppy?

(4 Posts)
aGalChangedHerName Tue 18-Aug-09 18:03:23

Got our beautiful Bichon last week and it's going not too badly. She is 13 weeks and had her 2nd imms last Monday so not allowed out in public till Monday coming so going for walkies not an issue yet.

We have had her collar on since we brought her home which she is happy with and have practiced with the lead in the garden etc.

She hates it. We can get her to walk a few steps if she is lively and really excited or we hold a treat a bit in front of her but she tends to just sit down and not budge.

So what should i do? I am really looking forward to getting her out and about but how do i get her to walk with me? <scratches head>

TaxiLady Tue 18-Aug-09 18:12:59

just keep doing what you are doing

is she wearing a collar all the time, or is it just going on with the lead??

get her used to the collar all the time (not in the crate though if you are using one)

a very fine light lead clipped on and just dangling while she is frolicking in the garden can help

children can be a great help distracting them from the lead and letting them trot on while distracted

othewise it's the bribery :D

do take advantage of her sitting though....and work it into her training if you can :D

aGalChangedHerName Tue 18-Aug-09 20:38:21

Wears the collar all the time and happy to wear it.

We can get her to do a sit with a treat and with praise. She really is a good wee thing.

Ok bribery it is come Monday lol.

Thanks for that x

Sherbert37 Wed 19-Aug-09 09:43:07

My Border Terrier used to sit down and not budge on the pavement when we first went walking. Fast forward a few weeks and she bounces up at the sound of "walkies" and would go out as may times as we are able to take her. We used treats to get her to move, sometimes had to resort to carrying her, but got there in the end. I love walking her. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now