Talk

Advanced search

I'm desperate for a pet but I'm not a homeowner..would you be cheecky and go ahead anyway ??

(9 Posts)
sexisoneofthefoundation Tue 18-Aug-09 09:38:37

After the appeal from the battersea dogs and cats home, I'm desperate to adopt a cat. I'm at home all day, so it will never be alone and I would love him..Only thing, no pets are allowed...Shall I give up the idea ?

sexisoneofthefoundation Tue 18-Aug-09 09:42:49

bump

AnnieLobeseder Tue 18-Aug-09 09:43:30

We struggled to find a house to rent cos of our dogs, but we did find that lots of estate agents wrote a blanket 'no pets' rule for all properties, but when we asked them to contact the landlord for permission for pets, quite often they were fine with it as long as extras were written into the contract. Stuff like fixing any damage caused and getting the carpets professionally cleaned etc. Might be worth contacting your landlord/letting agency.

I have had a cat in a place where pets really weren't allowed, but didn't get caught. She used to climb out the window and leave paw prints down the outside wall as she went, and one day the wall was repainted over the pawprints and you could still see them through the new paint and I couldn't clean them off! shock How I didn't get in huge amount of trouble I'll never know!

beckysharp Tue 18-Aug-09 09:45:08

I believe that Battersea won't home a cat/dog in a rented home unless you have a letter from your landlord stating that is OK.

Have you actually asked your landlord though? We have a dog, cat, lizard and three gerbils. I stressed madly about renting as all property details say no pets, but when asked, the landlord was completely fine. We just had to pay an extra £500 deposit and contract to ensure that we were responsible for any damage/cleaning at the end of the tenancy.

sexisoneofthefoundation Tue 18-Aug-09 09:45:49

Thank you, that is quite positive ! I have to ask the landlady because I have to provide a letter to the dogs home.

sexisoneofthefoundation Tue 18-Aug-09 09:47:22

500 pounds more in deposit, ouch, I'll never be able to pay that..am going to ask anyway in the hope she wont ask for more money.

sexisoneofthefoundation Tue 18-Aug-09 09:47:31

500 pounds more in deposit, ouch, I'll never be able to pay that..am going to ask anyway in the hope she wont ask for more money.

beckysharp Tue 18-Aug-09 14:02:23

Our rent is quite a lot per month (London) so £500 probably just a proportion of that.

Ask her! She can only say no ... and then at least you'll know.

Annie, love the story about the pawprints! I too had a cat in an apartment that wasn't meant to have one and had to hide him in my neighbours apartment whenever we had an inspection! Too stressful!

bethoo Tue 18-Aug-09 14:12:06

i owuld ask first defo as of you got a dog or cat you would have the heartbreaking task of rehoming!
though a gerbil/hamster/lizard or fish would probably be ok smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now