Talk

Advanced search

Agressive cat

(8 Posts)
Belgianchox Tue 18-Aug-09 07:45:50

My cat has become progressively more agressive since I've had children. I have 3 dc, the youngest is just 3months. He's only agressive with me, mostly grabbing at my legs with claws out, or biting on occasion. Not play biting, biting to really hurt. He's had a lot of upheaval to deal with, between my dc and 3 house moves since i've had him, but I'm getting fed up of this behaviour, I currently have 4 bleeding scratches on my legs from where he attacked me this morning with absolutely no provocation. I just don't know what to do to curb this behaviour, and I'm really worried that one day he will turn on the dc. Any ideas?

differentDM Tue 18-Aug-09 07:57:35

Do you ever get time just with him? It sounds like an attention seeking behaviour to me. I realise that with 3 small children that's next to impossible, but he was with you first.

Belgianchox Tue 18-Aug-09 09:33:19

No, not really, although I do try to find time to stroke him a bit most days. He definitely doesn't get as much attention as he did in the early days, I understand that. He was my first 'baby', I guess he's just a bit snubbed at the turn things have taken.

differentDM Tue 18-Aug-09 18:17:10

if he comes near you while you're washing up, just give him a little stroke, likewise if you're just passing him in the hallway just a soft touch. How old are the children, would the eldest help with keeping him entertained? My friends ds is 9 and still loves dangling toys for my two to play with.

mj4ever Wed 19-Aug-09 00:58:23

i'd take him to the vet to check him over.

mj4ever Wed 19-Aug-09 01:00:54

i had a cat that got agressive with everyone but not me, turns out he was poorly

i dont mean to panic you, but i'd seek a vets advice cause sometimes it's because they are in pain.

TheYearOfTheCat Wed 19-Aug-09 01:15:06

I found this book, Cat Confidential really useful in helping to understand my cats' behaviour.

TheYearOfTheCat Wed 19-Aug-09 01:17:14

Also, I recall I got some stuff from my vet which helps to calm cats down - it was like a plug in fragrance thing. Ground valarian tablets (from Boots - sleep remedies) also help to calm cats. It won't get to the root of the problem, but may help alleviate things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now