Talk

Advanced search

I went to the pet shop today to get a cat bed and came out with a guinea pig, any tips?

(34 Posts)
clayre Mon 17-Aug-09 19:06:41

Title says it all really, shes is about 6 weeks and i know nothing about guinea pigs, i had a hamster until recently and have 2 cats, any advice and tips on guinea care would be much appreciated,

thanks.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 17-Aug-09 19:07:26

My tip: don't let the cat sleep on the guinea pig.

TheIroningLady Mon 17-Aug-09 19:09:22

Hurrah! I am getting guinea pigs this week too, (although am more prepared than you by the sounds of it). I am a bit excited as you can probably tell, (more excited than my DC's if I am being honest).

Guinea pigs are social animals and you shouldn't keep one on it's own. So you'll need to get another one as company for her.

clayre Mon 17-Aug-09 19:12:19

thanks LGP fortunatly the cats seem to be scared of her

TIL the man in the pet shop says they are better on their own, plus there was 3 of them so i couldnt have taken 2 and left one, i would have had to take all 3

TheProfiteroleThief Mon 17-Aug-09 19:14:16

Oh no! You must get another - they are so terribly sad and nervous alone. I am sure they believe they are the only piggy left in the world!

If she is deff a girl (and not pregnant - they are the trollops of the rodent world) you can introduce another girl, even from another source. Honestly she will be very unhappy alone.

But they are lovely pets

TheDMshouldbeRivened Mon 17-Aug-09 19:15:48

clearly you have issues with your shopping grin
GP's are social creatures so get another one but make sure its the same sex or you'll be up to your armpits in them.

EccentricaUsesTheDMForBogRoll Mon 17-Aug-09 19:17:37

I love guinieas. I love their little weee weee noises and how pleased they are to see you. Get some more. girl ones.

clayre Mon 17-Aug-09 19:17:53

oh no, i should have got another, maybe i'll wait a few months to make sure shes def a female and def not pregnant and go to the rescue centre and get another adult female

feel guilty now

clayre Mon 17-Aug-09 19:19:39

I do seem to have issues with shopping, i get easily confused, to make matters worse the cat isnt interested in his new bed just the bag it came in, grrrr

TheProfiteroleThief Mon 17-Aug-09 19:22:15

You shoudl find out fairly soon if she is pg, but tbh I'd get another girl to help her settle. Breeders and rescue centres are better than pet shops imo. If she does have a litter, the pet shop shoudl accept them back (if you can bear to part with them)

maize Mon 17-Aug-09 19:44:18

Please do get another one, they are fairly easy to sex (boys have gigantic balls) and girl pigs are very sociable and get on with other ones very well.

Feel very sad that the man in the shop is selling guinea pigs alone.

clayre Tue 18-Aug-09 13:39:37

Update - my mum is away down to the pet shop to get Gwens sister, i was feeling too guilty for her being alone.

HecatesTwopenceworth Tue 18-Aug-09 13:42:25

Next time you go shopping, write a list. grin

Apart from that, get another one quicksharp! As others have said, they need a friend. DON'T have a rabbit as its companion because they can be real bullies! Handle it loads! remember that they are very easily scared. They need very gentle handling.

ChookKeeper Tue 18-Aug-09 13:58:39

Please do make sure you get another girl cos....long story coming up......

Bought a rabbit for dd1's 4th birthday (she's 15 now) and someone suggested that rabbits and GPs live well together. So we bought a little girlie GP (Daisy) to keep rabbit company. Well the rabbit became ill and died (£80 vets bill) and so we felt sorry for Daisy and went back the place we'd bought her from and asked for another girl GP who we called Sally.

A few weeks went by and I noticed that Daisy was looking a little tubby so I said the DH "oh I think Daisy must be eating all the food and getting fat". Show's how much I know - the next weekend we'd just back from an evening out and DH looked into the GPs hutch and found 4 baby GPs shock .Turns out Sally was really a boy who we promptly renamed Toby.

I phoned the emergency vet to ask if we should separate them - thinking Sally/Toby might harm them - only to be told that we should separate them 'cos they mate within an hour of giving birth shock.

So we put Toby into a big box for the night and next day DH had to go out and spend £40 on another hutch.

We managed to offload the 4 babies once they were weaned but 10 weeks after their arrival another 4 appeared shock.

So.... we kept one little girl (had her properly sexed by a breeder)but felt sorry for Toby living on his own so spent another £80 having him 'done' so that they could all live together again.

After all that DD1 had no interest in them and I was the only one that looked after them so we ended up giving them away sad.

Oh we do laugh about it now grin NOT!!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 18-Aug-09 14:00:45

I went to get fish food and came home with a hamster grin

bargainhuntingbetty Tue 18-Aug-09 14:03:07

My tip would be: Learn to speak Guinea Pig. We have 2 (well DD does) and they yell at us all the time, sometimes they yell at us so loudly that I convinced I am getting into trouble for something. If you put anything down on top of their cage they really yell (Like their food while you are pouring out etc). They frequently yell at DH if he has the cheek to move at night when the house is quite ( he he he gets quite paranoid). They are fascinating little creatures but should def be kept in pairs or groups.

clayre Tue 18-Aug-09 14:07:07

its her sister my mums away to get, she phoned the pet shop to see if they still had her sister and they do, im soo excited cos gwen looks sad

Hecate - i would probably lose a list on the way to the shops

ChookKeeper - eek at the mating one hour after giving birth!

FBG - i went to the petshop to get a fish and came back with a hamster, sadly he died a few months ago after making it to nearly 3!

bethoo Tue 18-Aug-09 14:18:40

grin

FleurDelacour Tue 18-Aug-09 14:51:08

I went to the pet shop yesterday to get pet bedding and food. For guinea pigs and hamster.

I came home wth two adorable baby bunnies. Eek.

Cue major house and cable rearrangement.

They are now being house trained and are hopping around being gorgeous. Today one was found curled up asleep on DD1s bed.

I am in love.

jeminthepantry Tue 18-Aug-09 14:55:06

You can't have a single guinea, they are really social creatures, need to be at least 2....I'm a bit hmm that the worker at the shop didn't mention this....any pig owner knows you just DON'T buy single pigs.

It's bad, get another one.

Other than that, a hutch, a run, and indoor cage if you want for winter.

Food- they love things like carrot, apple, babana skins, other salads etc.

They need to be cleaned regularly- sitting in your own urine and faeces aint good.

Sorry- is that the sort of thing you were after?

jeminthepantry Tue 18-Aug-09 14:56:04

Buy a book.....

clayre Tue 18-Aug-09 15:05:41

Jemi - i put an update on a wee while ago, my mum went and got her sister for me and they are now reunited.

Am gonna keep them indoors but think i will get a run for outside

Fleur - grin

Gwen and Gabby seem to pleased to see each other again

jeminthepantry Tue 18-Aug-09 15:33:44

Sorry Clayre...missed it...(damn my lazy ways!)

Just remember if they are kept inside- who is gonna clean them out..I find my DH is partilarly suited to this role...!!!

silver73 Tue 18-Aug-09 16:01:59

I'm very worried that the guy in the pet shop is selling piggies on their own. Could you phone the RSPCA or better still a GP resucue place and ask them to have a word with the shop owner/manager?.

The thought of them selling lots of pigs on their own and condemning them to a sad lonely life is making my stomach churn.

BertieBotts Tue 18-Aug-09 16:05:04

If you are keeping them indoors definitely get some of the spray you can buy from places like pets at home etc which neutralises the ammonia and therefore the smell. They shouldn't smell anyway if you clean them out often enough but it does help.

They can't make their own vitamin C so need to have lots of fresh veg - but not lettuce, it makes them wee loads. When our run broke we used to make a "human run" in the garden by sitting with our legs open in a V shape and touching feet - so if 2 people, it makes a diamond, 3 or more you get a sort of star shape. If they try to run out you put your hand up blocking their path and they run back again (probably best to get them used to being handled first) - it was loads of fun too.

They will nibble at fingers but very gently - they don't bite (unless they mistake you for a carrot!) so are great with children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now