Talk

Advanced search

Arghh...my dog ate another houseplant

(4 Posts)
GrimmaTheNome Sun 16-Aug-09 10:23:52

A few months ago my dachshund, left alone for a few hours ate an entire peace lily. Not a leaf left.The plant had been in the same place for years, totally ignored by the previous dog and this one too, till this happened.

We spent a few days very worried as all available advice suggested he was likely to die of oxalic acid poisoning buggering his kidneys. Fortunately, he gave no appearance of any ill-effects at all. Maybe peace lilies vary in their oxalate content and we were just lucky.

This morning I came down to discover he'd found where I was rooting some yucca cuttings, had dragged one out and chewed it up. Info on the net suggests this may give him tummy upset but not so bad as the peace lily was supposed to be.

Reason for posting threefold. First as a warning. I'd simply not realised that dogs might eat houseplants. The label on the peace lily said 'not for consumption' but no real toxicity warning.

Secondly, does anyone have any idea why a dog would do this - especially something as tough as a yucca? He spends plenty of time in the garden and eats grass like most dogs do, its not that he doesn't have access to green stuff if he needs it. Do you think theres something missing in his diet or was it just boredom.

Thirdly, the garden... if he has a prediliction for eating plants other than grass, I'm now rather worried about leaving him in the garden (he loves sunbathing and gnaws his bones out there). After the peace lily incident I glyphosated the monkshood as I know thats a badly poisonous plant ... but there are other things like lily of the valley and foxgloves. He's shown no interest in those ... yet ... he did eat some of a meadowsweet cultivar and the previous dog liked pulmonaria leaves (both used in herbal medicine so presumably ok) ... but who knows what the little devil will sample next.

TaxiLady Sun 16-Aug-09 10:28:04

our first dog took against a very old and very tall Mother-in-Law's Tongue....totally shredded it, compost dragged over the whole house!!

is dog boy bored and looking for mischief?? one of those kong toys with biscuits wedged in might divert his attention

GrimmaTheNome Sun 16-Aug-09 11:08:08

He doesnt normally mess with anything in the kitchen overnight - stays in his unlocked crate, as far as we know, never hear a peep out of him. This morning in addition to the plant, the bin was knocked over (a first) - but not opened and there was nothing good in it anyhow. We weren't particularly late up. Not quite sure how a kong would work out - surely he'd unstuff it at the start of the night and have nowt in it by morning.

Oh well, now to find somewhere else to put the surviving yuccas - at least with a dachs it doesn't have to be too high!

madusa Sun 16-Aug-09 13:06:01

one of my cats is having the same "issue" with my new orchid sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now