Talk

Advanced search

When did you know it was crunch time, and did you do it or hang on?

(25 Posts)
2sugarsandapuppy Sat 15-Aug-09 22:23:43

Our house stinks tonight, courtesy of a 14 yo Springer spaniel. He's all there in the head, but his back legs, and either his bowels or his reflux are letting him down.

But HE'S ALL THERE.

What would you do?

He was a rescue dog we got before we married, and I still have fond memories of him (him being him, not H!) bounding along St Bees' beach.

gingerbunny Sat 15-Aug-09 22:42:25

i know what you mean, we had our 14yr old cav king Charles, put to sleep some years ago.
it was an awful decision to have to make, as he was all there to, but he had problems with his kidneys.
treatment couldn't cure it and it came back for a second time, it was slowly poisioning him.
One day he just couldn't walk it was like he was drunk, i picked him up and carried him to the garden, he just gave me the saddest look and i knew he wanted to go.
it was so hard, but he was suffering and i could never watch him suffer.
They become part of your family and even now I still miss him and I'm welling up as I write.
you have to do what's best for him, how ever hard it is for you.

2sugarsandapuppy Sat 15-Aug-09 22:46:11

gingerbunny, sad. He's head's all there, it's just his body that's packed up.

2sugarsandapuppy Sat 15-Aug-09 22:47:35

His. If I can be so effing pedantic.

TheWolf Sat 15-Aug-09 22:50:23

With my beloved 11yr old white GSD he'd been on long term meds for quite some time, the trips to the vets for infections/hip and leg probs/bowel issues were becoming more frequent.

On the day that I called the vet out I just knew that it was the best thing to do. He was still all there but there was something in his eyes that looked a bit tired, old and sad.

It was an issue that the vet said that they could treat but not cure, and it came down to an question about quality of life iyswim?

It's a bloody hard decision to make. Best wishes.

AholaLoadOfTrouble Sat 15-Aug-09 23:58:42

What is his quality of life like? Can he get out for walks? Is he happy to miss out on the walks? Springers need a lot of brain work don't they.
Our dog would have been devastated not to be able to swim in the river anymore. That would have been the deciding factor for us.

thedailyfemale Sun 16-Aug-09 00:10:58

Take him to the vet and ask for an overhaul if they say its time then...

Our last dog the decision was decided for us. He had had cancerous lumps removed in the past and when he started being sick all the time we took him in to be examined under GA. When they rang and said best not to wake him up we went with that.

Heartbreaking

I'm so sorry you're having to make this decision

2sugarsandapuppy Sun 16-Aug-09 08:49:40

I've just woken up to a downstairs floor of splattered doggy diorrhea (sp). It was hard enough getting it off the kitchen floor. I don't know how to tackle the carpet. If it was in one place I could 1001 it, but it's hard, dried, liquid drops everywhere

2sugarsandapuppy Sun 16-Aug-09 08:51:34

It's not true, is it, that you're not allowed to bury your dog in your garden? H seems to think so, but if Max's time is up I want him with us, iyswim.

TheDailyMailHatesWomenAndLemon Sun 16-Aug-09 09:38:39

You can bury your dog in your garden, as long as you bury him least 1.25m deep and well away from ponds, streams, wells, underground pipes and cables.

An alternative would be cremating him and scattering his ashes in your garden.

gingerbunny Sun 16-Aug-09 10:54:24

you can bury him in the garden, we have ours there. just follow the advise from 'daily mail'. we leave ours a dog biscuit on his birthday!
Some one gave me this when we had to make our decision, it brought some comfort.

If it should be that I grow weak
and pain should keep me from my sleep,
then you must do, what must be done,
for this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand,
don't let you grief then stay your hand,
for this day more than all the rest,
your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,
what is to come can hold no fears,
you'd not want me to suffer so,
the time has come, please let me go.

Take me to where my needs they'll tend
and please stay with me until the end,
hold me firm and speak to me,
until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see,
the kindness that you do for me,
although my tail it's last has waved,
from pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve it must be you,
who has this painful thing to do,
we've been so close we two these years
don't let your heart hold back its tears.

thedailyfemale Sun 16-Aug-09 11:42:04

We got our old cremated and then buried him with his favourite toy. We planted a crap apple over him and each year I make Scruffs crab apple jelly.

2sugarsandapuppy Mon 17-Aug-09 07:32:15

Hi all, and thanks for your interest in our dilemma. Just come down to another scattering of doggy diaorhea, but at least we kept the baby gate closed, which made mopping/cleaning easier.

There was blood coming out of his bum last night - sorry if TMI - but H refused to pay the £125 surchage for taking him to Woodstock last night to see the emergency vet. I don't believe it's a bug, otherwise our other dog would have it too, surely?

Thank God for dd2's friend's dad, who took both of them off swimming and on to fish and chips yesterday while we tackled the Rug Doctor.

gingerbunny, thank you so much for that xx. It's very sad, but also very comforting.

TaxiLady Mon 17-Aug-09 07:39:39

i think this dog needs to go to the vet TODAY!

if you had sorted it out on saturday the emergency vet fee wouldn't have been an issue

pet ownership comes with responsibilties and knowing when to draw the line is one.

i hope it's something treatable and that the decision to euthanase is not one you have to make today. x

seeker Mon 17-Aug-09 08:06:37

I delayed with my beloved cat because I couldn't make the decision - and I still regret that I made him suffer another two weeks before he died. It was unfair and selfish of me - and I feel I let him down when he needed me to be a responsible pet owner. Give your dog a cuddle, then listen to what the vet tells you.

Milliways Mon 17-Aug-09 08:12:54

When our GSD became incontinent, we spoke to the vet who gave us some charcoal type powder that we sprinkled on his food. It helped bulk it out so he had more chance of knowing when he needed to go, but it also meant that any poo was totally dry & odourless, so incredibly easy to deal with.

I felt sorry for the fact his food must taste awful, but he didn't care & it got us many more months.

Eventually he had trouble getting over the front doorstep and we knew when to give up.

Heartbreaking though

differentDM Mon 17-Aug-09 08:18:55

I think it's near that time 2sugars.
I held out with my cat for 2 weeks and then on the night I made the decision, he went in his sleep. I have wonderful memories of my darling boy and I so regret not saying goodbye earlier- he was just a shadow of his former self. That was 7 years ago.
Doesn't make it any easier, but rather than see him unhappy and depressed and in pain, say goodbye and treasure the memories you have with him.

We had Honey cremated and I have his ashes with me, on top of the pianosmile

2sugarsandapuppy Mon 17-Aug-09 21:17:47

Well, thank you for all your messages. Max found his maker at 11.00am this morning - the vet was in no doubt. H was nice enough to allow him to bring him home - he's been digging all afternoon, but it will still be tomorrow before it's finished.

Millie seems to know - we showed her Max's body in the stupid belief it might help her realise.

TheDailyMailHatesWomenAndLemon Mon 17-Aug-09 22:32:10

Poor old Max. How old was he when you got him?

catless Mon 17-Aug-09 22:46:52

Poor Max. I bet you are devestated. Only time will ease the pain.

oneopinionatedmother Mon 17-Aug-09 22:53:11

poor you

SlartyBartFast Mon 17-Aug-09 22:55:48

sad he will be better now

gingerbunny Tue 18-Aug-09 10:25:53

i'm sorry to hear that, but you have done the right thing. sad

brimfull Tue 18-Aug-09 10:30:05

so sorry

it is a hard decision to make

dippica Thu 20-Aug-09 13:22:06

I've just had to go through this with my very poorly puss cat two days ago. Horrible horrible decision, but one that was supported by the vet - it was definitely the right thing to do, but just so awful.

We left poor Ellie at the vets after stroking her to sleep. At home we all (me DH and 2 DSs wrote little messages to Ellie, then set fire to them, watched the smoke blow away into the sky, then left the little pile of ashes under the bench in the garden where she used to sit. Tears in full flow then and now.

But still the right thing to do and no regrets, just very sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now