Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for puppy treats/training treats please

(13 Posts)
JodieO Sat 08-Aug-09 15:46:29

Just got our puppy yesterday and she's adorable We bought some treats to help with training but they seem a little big/hard for her (she's an 8 week old staffy x shar pei). I've cut up some cheese and she's loving those and also just put some sausages in the oven to use but is there anything else that would be good?

Bella21 Sat 08-Aug-09 15:54:41

James Wellbeloved do several treats but they do little crouton type ones in a small drum which are quite easy for pups to eat.

I also use chopped hot dog sausages. You can use liver (in small amounts) or chicken (I buy those packs of odd cuts of roast chicken and keep them in the fridge).

All the best with her wink

Bella21 Sat 08-Aug-09 15:58:51

These are the chaps:

here

foreverchanges Sat 08-Aug-09 16:07:53

smachos by pedigree (i think) soft and available most supermarkets ,can be broken into bits .i use sausages mostly

JodieO Sat 08-Aug-09 16:33:22

Ah they look good Bella, that's the food she's on so she'll probably like them. I'll have to get some and steal your chicken idea too hehe.

Thanks foreverchanges I'll have a look.

brimfull Sat 08-Aug-09 16:37:29

I used to get liver treats for training.
Got them from the vets but I think they sell them in pet shops.
They were tiny tablets so ideal for puppies.

brimfull Sat 08-Aug-09 16:39:30

these

danthe4th Sat 08-Aug-09 16:40:33

I used to bake tiny pieces of liver in the oven till hard.

teahee Sun 09-Aug-09 10:02:49

If she's having dried dog food at all and likes it use some of that. Our puppy loved it - admittedly a lab. We also used coachies when she was a bit older and small pieces torn off Bakers Sizzlers puppies - she liked the bacon smell. Our dog trainer said not too much cheese!

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 09-Aug-09 16:55:57

i beleive bella feeds her woofs hotdogs shock

<blondes shudders>

i wouldnt even give thos to my dc let alone the woofa!!!

cheese works VERY well with our puppy

he will do anything for a small cube

he will also steal scoff eat 5000g of it if left out on the worktop while you have a wee

JodieO Sun 09-Aug-09 17:04:27

She does seem to love cheese, cooked some sausages up last night too which she enjoys so I've put some of those (cut up) into her puppy kong today.

She likes the softer toys more, any ideas where to get some from? Have lots of harder toys, rings, balls, chews etc but couldn't find many softer ones at all, which she prefers.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 09-Aug-09 17:06:56

dh brought woofa a very annoying soft squeaky bone from homebase last week - cost 99p

throckenholt Sun 09-Aug-09 17:09:17

lidl have some dog training sausages - you can cut them into tiny bits - that works well with mine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now