Talk

Advanced search

Think one of my bunnies is a boy and one a girl now......

(8 Posts)
npg1 Fri 07-Aug-09 18:51:45

brought 2 bunnies 3 weeks ago. Was told by breeder they are the same sex but she wasnt sure if girls or boys but thought they were both girls.

Today been having a look ad one definately has 'acorns' either side of private parts and not sure about the other. It's either got nothing either side or they are very small.

They are siblings. What do I do? Was going to take to vets to check in a couple of weeks. Is it dangerous for siblings to have babies together?

Tryharder Fri 07-Aug-09 19:08:27

Surely you could have one or both neutered?

Unless you want them to breed, that is.

themoon66 Fri 07-Aug-09 19:10:37

I don't think rabbits worry about incest grin

<<distant twang of banjos>>

StayFrosty Fri 07-Aug-09 19:11:24

Have them both neutered anyway; unneutered male rabbits can become a bit aggressive (I had one that used to spray wee on me if I pissed him off hmm) and it is really really common for female rabbits to get cancer of the uterus in later life. So I would get them both done anyway.

beautifulgirls Fri 07-Aug-09 21:17:55

Call the vets tomorrow morning - or Monday if you can't get through and book them both in for neutering asap! This is a really common thing to happen - it is incredibly difficult to accurately sex young rabbits.

npg1 Fri 07-Aug-09 21:56:15

Thanks everyone. I will get one or both neuted but they are only 10 weeks, thought they couldnt have it done yet? I had another feel tonight an dnow cant feel the acorns and the 'female' one feels like she has empty sacks either side?!

Will call the vets and ask them. I dont mind if they have 1 litter but was worried bout incest? does this matter?

Thanks

Ponders Fri 07-Aug-09 21:59:56

We had some very inbred guinea pigs - their grandparents were brother & sister, & then their parents were father & daughter - as far as we know...hmm(they were passed on to us by a friend grin) & although they appeared to be fairly dim - compared with the sparkling intelligence normally shown by guinea pigs, lol - they were healthy enough.

Agree though, get them both neutered.

beautifulgirls Fri 07-Aug-09 22:27:33

We will do them at work from 2.5-3months old depending on their size really. Speak to your local surgery and see what they suggest but be sure to explain the situation as they may prefer to see them briefly and check size before they make a decision for sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now