Talk

Advanced search

insurance for an old cat

(10 Posts)
beanieb Fri 07-Aug-09 11:06:53

My cats are getting elderly and over the years I have never had any insurance for them but have always paid the vets bills myself. Am thinking now it might be an idea to get some kind of insurance incase their age starts to make them deteriorate.

Can anyone recommend an insurer? I have tried moneysupermarket.com but it just brings up companies I have never heard of so I don't know if they are good or not.

What do other people have ?

juneybean Fri 07-Aug-09 11:07:48

I think my mum was with morethan but they got expensive, she's with one of the supermarket brands now...sainbos or tesco....not sure which.

beanieb Fri 07-Aug-09 11:11:50

thank you - am going to check out Tesco now

ClaireDeLoon Fri 07-Aug-09 11:18:40

I used m&s for my old boy. He would have been about 15 when I first insured him through them. I cancelled it recently when they put the premium up to over £50 a month.

Be aware that with most policies for cats over 12 the excess is not a set amount but is the excess (say £50) plus 20% of the remaining claim.

beanieb Fri 07-Aug-09 11:29:09

yeah - M&S quoted me £47!!

beanieb Fri 07-Aug-09 11:32:21

can someone explain to a numpty. When they say "Cats 9 years old and over £50 + 20% of the rest of the cost of veterinary treatment." this means I pay the first £50 and then another 20% of the fees?

ClaireDeLoon Fri 07-Aug-09 11:39:12

Yup, that's what it means, so for a £200 claim you would pay an excess of £80, ie £50 + 20% of the remaining £150, so an extra £30

How old are they?

beanieb Fri 07-Aug-09 11:55:45

one is 15 the other 16!! I have left this rather late eh!?

Apart from teeth problems and one of them going blind they have always been very healthy. I am thinking perhaps I should just start sticking £40 away every month so I have the cash to deal with them if anything goes wrong. TBH the younger one is more decrepid than the older (Blind) one and I've noticed she's been getting thinner recently. Am going to take her for a check up next week.

ClaireDeLoon Fri 07-Aug-09 12:40:34

Their existing problems wouldn't covered anyway, so you'd be paying for their treatment on top of the monthly costs. They also exclude conditions that arisein the first two weeks of cover.

I came to the same conclusion as you - it wasn't worth it. He's 18 and so frail that any treatment that would make it worth paying £600 a year he'd be too frail to have anyway.

beanieb Fri 07-Aug-09 13:03:11

grin looks like I'll be doing the same. 18 is a good old age. Hope you're well BTW Claire smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now