Talk

Advanced search

Should i still get a Newfie?(cheapest insurance quote £70 a month)

(6 Posts)
Totallyfloaty35 Tue 04-Aug-09 13:00:16

Was going to get a Newfie but the insurance quotes are a bit scary,average quote was £85,lowest £70 and highest £96.I have 2 chihuahuas and a 16yr old cat so even with cheapest quote my monthly insurance bills are over £150 a month for all of them.
DH says get one anyway,DD2 says get a chocolate Lab(another breed we are fond of) and DD1 wants a retired Greyhound(but im not sure how it would do in a house with a toddler and several small furrys) everyone is argueing about what to do.
I have always wanted a Newf but i have to say the insurance costs are putting me off a bit.I need a child friendly,small animal friendly dog that is quite large.Im not house proud as we used to have a smelly Shar-pei with long hair that shed everywhere.
I miss having a big dog in the house,i feel safer with one as DH works away a lot.
Any opinions advice please.

spugs Tue 04-Aug-09 14:17:54

Thats a lot of cash for insurance! If you can afford it and are happy to pay it then go for it otherwise go for a lower cost breed.

Bella21 Tue 04-Aug-09 17:20:56

All your costs are going to be high - food, wormers, flea treatment, neutering (not covered by insurance and anaesthetic cost based on weight of dog), boarding, etc.

If you're having doubts now, please think hard.

Best of luck.

CountessDracula Tue 04-Aug-09 17:22:47

try this lot

Don't forget the costs will go up every year too

Totallyfloaty35 Tue 04-Aug-09 19:48:46

Thanks,i do expect insurance to go up each yr and i had factored in food costs etc,just hadnt expected to start from so high up in insurance costs.
Thankyou Dracula,that came in at a much more manageable costs,looks like we getting a Newfie then,DD1 will just have to wait for her Greyhoundwink

CountessDracula Tue 04-Aug-09 20:01:19

They are really good
we have insured our ridgeback with them for 8 years and they have always coughed up even when I thought they wouldn't

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now