Talk

Advanced search

Considering getting a puppy...bitch or dog ?

(31 Posts)
rasputin Tue 04-Aug-09 09:24:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Macdog Tue 04-Aug-09 09:25:36

Frm my own experience I would recommend a bitch puppy.

babaaa Tue 04-Aug-09 09:32:58

I would recommend Bitch - appear less wandersome .

dcgc Tue 04-Aug-09 09:48:15

I would also recommend a bitch, far less territorial and much more submissive.

rasputin Tue 04-Aug-09 09:53:34

babaaa Tue 04-Aug-09 10:01:42

yes its like drops of blood and its dificult to walk out as dogs go crazy but it only lasted two weekswe limited her to certain rooms for that time - we decided to let her have one season a s vet said good for health - then we are going to have her stayed - this costs£ 150 for our size dog.

dcgc Tue 04-Aug-09 10:24:42

Same as babaa, we had our spayed, but straight away though so no mess.

GrimmaTheNome Tue 04-Aug-09 10:30:50

Our dog dog is no bother at all. It depends a lot on the individual. As you can presumably spend time with these pups, you are in a better position than most to see how each relates to you and your kids.

MitchyInge Tue 04-Aug-09 10:31:20

bitches (once spayed) are widely believed to be more biddable than dogs but obviously there are variations both across and within breeds, what sort of breed[s] are the puppies?

then there are people who are convinced that dogs are more affectionate - both seem to live happily side by side their humans, it's probably not a massively critical issue! why not just choose the puppy you like the best?

MitchyInge Tue 04-Aug-09 10:39:54

further thought if they are going to be worked in some way bitches (and this is all anecdotal) tend to need a week or two less training than dogs although they can be moody and uncooperative around the times of their seasons (2 a year), while dogs are said to have superior stamina/endurance in the field - afaik this applies to police/military dogs as well as gun dogs

some of this might be human gender stereotyping superimposed on canines though? and not really relevant for a domestic pet!

rasputin Tue 04-Aug-09 10:42:20

MitchyInge Tue 04-Aug-09 11:58:19

springers are officially the best dogs in the world! well they are in my house

liver and white? black and white?

rasputin Tue 04-Aug-09 12:18:27

MitchyInge Tue 04-Aug-09 12:20:47

can't see your profile

feel free to admire mine though (might have to scroll through a lot of unnecessary horse pics) - in the group shot he is the one looking at the camera instead of paying attention grin

MitchyInge Tue 04-Aug-09 12:23:31

oh the group shot is not there any more - must find it in case anyone else likes looking at large gatherings of springer spaniels

AliBean Tue 04-Aug-09 12:24:53

We have a springer bitch, she is wonderful.
Best temperament of any dog I have ever met - I could be a bit biased but everyone else who has met her thinks she is great too!
I have found that she keeps herself very clean during seasons and there are very few drips.
I would second that spending time with the pups is a great way of choosing - go for the pup who appeals the most rather than what sex it is. TBH it will have a lot to do with the way you bring the pup up - the right training and attitude will result in a great pet. The sex is irrelevant unless you want to have pups one day...

rasputin Tue 04-Aug-09 12:25:34

rasputin Tue 04-Aug-09 12:33:11

AliBean Tue 04-Aug-09 12:43:07

Don't be nervous - it will be lovely!
Messy (for a bit!) but lovely!

We got our girl at 8 weeks and she was housetrained quite quickly - the best thing about springers is they are really intelligent so pick things up quickly.

Good luck!

MitchyInge Tue 04-Aug-09 12:46:12

you're going to have so much fun whichever you choose! couldn't find the group shot then realised am on wrong computer, but there are a couple of him as an older puppy

argh intense wave of broodiness for another one - any going spare?

morethanyoubargainfor Tue 04-Aug-09 12:48:41

I have to say i have a dog, and wouldn't consider a bitch, it is just personal preference i suppose and it depends very much on what you want to 'do' with the pup.

I have always had boy dogs and most of my pets are boys apart fromthe hamster as my DS felt sorry for me being the only girl in the house, but i told him I LIKE IT that way! grin

MitchyInge Tue 04-Aug-09 12:48:45

oh rasputin, your puppy is adorable! WANT ONE!

oneopinionatedmother Tue 04-Aug-09 12:59:25

a neutered dog can be every bit as nice, biddable and loving as a bitch (without the hassle of seasons - though spaying at the appropriate age removes that problem too)

the main diff is that bitches can be very maternal to littlies, whereas dogs prefer to be stand-offish (so it can be easier with a dog, as they stay out of the way, whereas my bitch was desperate to see the baby from moment one, chewed nappies & wipes, loves 'kissing' the toddler (yech).)

throckenholt Tue 04-Aug-09 13:11:56

I have always preferred bitches. However, this time round we could only get a dog (he is now 18 months old). We neutered him at about 10 months - and he is fine - none of the problems you hear about.

Bitches you have the problem of them being in season periodically. We have a 12 year old bitch as well - she used to drip a bit in season - but generally kept very clean.

If you can get to know the pups I would go by personality rather than gender. Don't go for the really bossy confident one !

spugs Tue 04-Aug-09 14:15:48

I always preferred bitches but ended up getting a dog (now 5 months old) he's the most loving, loyal dog I've ever owned.

I have also just got a bitch (8 week old papillon) and there is a definite difference between them. She's very much anyones dog while my boy is very attached to me and has been since day one. She's more aloof and is happy to go to anyone.

They both are very affectionate though she is happier to sit on your knee whilst he wants to just sit beside you.

I know they are different ages and breeds so this could be coincidence, plus we've only had the bitch a few days.

Disadvantages of dogs - they hump, cock their legs and you have the lip stick effect!! Mine doesn't do these things often and hopefully once his bits are off he won't at all.

Girls have seasons which are a pain, its more expensive to have them neutered!

Im making the boys sound worse grin but honestly if you prefer the boy go for it grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now