Talk

Advanced search

Dead cat outside - what to do ?

(14 Posts)
LIZS Tue 04-Aug-09 09:12:42

Looks like it got run over last night, but suspect it has been placed on the side of the pavement (it is a good car's width off the main carriageway) rather than landed there. angry Lovely looking cat (tortoiseshell?) with collar but no tag according to dh. Not one I recognise among our garden visitors though.

What do we do - wait and see if anyone comes looking for it having missed it this morning or ring the council to take it away ? We live in a village so no local vet.

PestoMonster Tue 04-Aug-09 09:14:03

I would put it in a bag and drive it to your local vets. They will be one of the first ports of call for someone whose cat has gone missing.

dizzymare Tue 04-Aug-09 09:17:32

Call the RSPCA, they should come out and take it away, plus they'll check to see if its got a microchip.

Poor little thing sad

BodenGroupie Tue 04-Aug-09 09:21:15

Our local council removes dead animals - but there are a lot of them round here! Usually a special number on the website.

LynetteScavo Tue 04-Aug-09 09:27:50

We have what I call the dead animal van come round.

They are ususlly pretty quick with hedgehogs or cats, so I presume somebody phones the council to report.

LIZS Tue 04-Aug-09 09:28:21

sorry but no way can I touch it, more than a little phobic around dead animals. Think will try RSPCA a bit later.

ilovesprouts Tue 04-Aug-09 09:31:58

your best bet is to phone the council ,dont think the rspca will move it ?

LIZS Tue 04-Aug-09 09:34:54

Just looked out the window and it's already gone ! Presumably either the owner came and found it or our neighbour has moved it as they left for work.

daisyj Tue 04-Aug-09 11:29:40

Aw, poor thing. Our cat died in a neighbour's vegetable patch (she didn't know whose it was, and put it out with the rubbish sad, but was kind enough to call us and let us know when we leafleted the street) I would suggest putting up some leaflets on trees/lamposts in case it's local. If you have the time/inclination/space, any chance you could buy it in your garden? Might sound odd, but that's what I would do if I found a dead cat, and what I would have liked my neighbour to have done (although there's no reason someone should unless they are a 'cat person'.)

Otherwise, yes, I guess call the council. Also, you could call the nearest vet (even though you don't have a local one). When cats go missing people often let their vet know in case it turns up having moved in with someone else or been injured.

daisyj Tue 04-Aug-09 11:31:39

Sorry, just realised my message now irrelevant. Got distracted by baby while writing it earlier, and posted without checking the other messages!

everythingistaken Tue 04-Aug-09 16:52:49

my cat went missing last night, but seen that you live in a village could'nt be mine

100Janine100 Sun 16-Aug-09 21:01:22

My dog was run over yesterday and he has died i wasn't there.He has been taking to the rspca by a friend but because it's a sunday i cant contact them does any1 no what the rspca does with deceased pets i need to put my mind at rest.

Ripeberry Sun 16-Aug-09 22:30:00

My cat has been missing for over 3 weeks now and it's the not knowing that is upsetting me.
If he did get run over i'm praying that someone would have the foresight to notice that he was a pedigree (Bengal) and would check for a microchip.
Problem is, most councils DO NOT check for microchips sadif their street cleaners find dead cats..not sure about dogs.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 17-Aug-09 08:34:50

aww how sad

all pets should have collars but yes sometimes they can fall/be pulled off

hopefully all are also chipped

so if happenes again, ring local vet/rspca and hopefully they can check the chip for you

100janine100-sorry for your loss - ring rspca today - hopefully dog was chipped and then they will know to contact you to ask what you want to do with his body

generally all animals are put in a big furnace togather and burnt and then bones crushed - nless you ask for a seperate crematorium iyswim

ripeberry - hope pussy turns up soon xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now