Talk

Advanced search

Our dog was attacked tonight - who can we report it too?

(14 Posts)
Tabithacat Mon 03-Aug-09 22:54:32

DH was walking our dog tonight. Dog was off lead sniffing about when a large dog charged at him and pinned him to the ground and has pulled out a chunk of hair. The wound is about 2 1/2 inches by 1 1/2 inches big.

DH rushed over and shoved dog off, while the other owner yelled at DH to "kick it off". She was apologetic and explained that she had had the dog two years and it had been hard work. She said it wants to dominate other dogs but doesn't bite. She also said that if she had seen our dog first she woulf have put it on a lead.

Our dog just laid on the floor submissively all the time this was happening.

DH didn't realise our dog had been bitten and just came home.

Now, I'd like to report this dog because I would like it to be muzzled every time it is out. I know vaguely where she lives (trying to find out exactly where) but who can I report it to and will they do anything? Especially as DH didn't see the wound at the time and there were no witnesses? Anyone with a similar experience?

HairyMuff Mon 03-Aug-09 22:58:08

You can report it to youre locaol police. There is an offence of failing to keep a dog under control in public.

I presume you know where she lives/description of dog/owner etc.

HairyMuff Mon 03-Aug-09 22:58:38

sorry that was supposed to say 'your local'. Doh

wannaBe Mon 03-Aug-09 23:03:32

your poor dog. sad

Unfortunately your local police are unlikely to do anything as the dog hasn't bitten another person.

I know this is little consollation but at least the other owner was apologetic - so often when these things happen the owners could care less..

Tabithacat Mon 03-Aug-09 23:04:02

Thanks,

I am trying to get as much advice as possible before reporting it.

I am worried she will deny all as no witnesses.

So far, I only know the area she lives, down to two roads - but am asking around to see if anyone knows them.

HairyMuff Mon 03-Aug-09 23:04:13

hmm, think that law may only apply if it injures a person. Bugger.

Tabithacat Mon 03-Aug-09 23:07:39

TBH that's what I thought wannabe, but I will try them anyway.

I just think if she knew it is that unpredictable - to attack with no provocation whatsoever, our dog didn't see him til too late, then she should keep it muzzled.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 03-Aug-09 23:10:43

It sounds like the owner is trying to deal fairly responsibly with a difficult dog. If its never bitten before, to her knowledge, then I think it would be best if you can contact her and let her know and suggest that she either muzzles or else always keeps the dog leashed. The chances are she will not want it injuring another dog and will try harder to keep it controlled if she knows that it did hurt your dog.

Hope your dog isn't too traumatized.

HairyMuff Mon 03-Aug-09 23:11:40

Well if you can find out who she is go and see her and tell her your dog is injured - she is probably blissfully unaware at the moment.

IF you take it from there you may be able to suggest the muzzle thing to her. Depends how reasonable she is I suppose.

Tabithacat Mon 03-Aug-09 23:19:51

Grimmathegnome and hairymuff - that is probably the best plan. I will try to find her and let her know.

I am so incensed that my "baby" has been hurt that I'm not really thinking straight and there is also that bit of me who wants someone else to sort it for me.

wannaBe Mon 03-Aug-09 23:21:57

but maybe he has never bitten another dog before, and she is unaware that he has on this occasion.

Tbh I would try and talk to her first before involving the police. If she's admitted to your dh that she struggles with him running up to and intimidating other dogs then clearly she didn't want this to happen, and involving the police before she is even aware that her dog has injured yours seems a little harsh as she's not been given a chance to put things right for herself, iyswim.

Having a dog that is very distracted by other dogs can be very difficult. I have such a dog, and generally if I free run him it is somewhere where there are few dogs, and tbh he is far better with other dogs off the lead than on it iyswim. But if another dog comes along I always get him back and hold on to him until it is out of sight (the call of food is greater than the lure of the other dog wink). But if he ever injured another dog, I would want to know from the owner so that I could deal with it, i.e. seek help for that behavior/offer to pay the vet bill etc rather than being confronted by the police telling me of the owner's demands iyswim.

Tabithacat Mon 03-Aug-09 23:41:07

Hi wannabe,

X-posts. Sometimes it just takes a bit of MN common sense.

So thanks to all. I will talk to the owner first (assuming I find her) and let you all know what she says.

Bella21 Tue 04-Aug-09 08:11:37

I would definitely report it, to the dog warden (via your local council).

I say this because one of my dogs was seriously attacked by a dog whom the owner claimed had never done this before. It turned out it had, several times.

My poor dog could have been saved a huge gaping wound, general anaesthetic and stitches, not to mention my £400 vets bill, if someone had reported it previously.

The dog won't be put down, but the owner might be persuaded to keep it on a lead, whether she can see other dogs around or not.

Tabithacat Tue 04-Aug-09 10:20:33

I haven't had much luck finding the lady yet, so I think I might need to go the dog warden route Bella21.

I'm not being vindictive or overdramatic but it could be a youngster walking their dog next time and they wouldn't have the strength to shove the dog off.

It's worrying me that she doesn't know it actually hurt our dog and that it may do it again.

By the way, our dog is also big so a smaller dog may not come out off the encounter as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now