Talk

Advanced search

my poor itchy cat.... what is she allergic to?

(3 Posts)
marenmj Mon 03-Aug-09 18:45:09

something in our new house is giving her a rash.

I'm bathing her every few days and trying to rinse her every evening, which has helped, but she's still coming up in a rash.

I am 99% that it's a contact allergy because it's much worse on her neck and head where she can't reach to lick herself.

All the stuff in the house is ours, and she didn't have this problem at the last house, so it's not the stuff... must be the house.

What are some likely candidates for the culprit?

Pretty please?

beautifulgirls Mon 03-Aug-09 23:23:13

Flea allergic dermatitis.

You need to contact your vet and get a good spot on flea killer and a can of household spray and treat everywhere.

My betting is the old owners had pets and left you some visitors. You may not be aware of them as they may not be great in number, but a few cats will just react very violently to their bites. If she is really bad she may need to see the vet to get some medication to help her through until the house and her are fully treated.

Hope she is better soon.

marenmj Tue 04-Aug-09 10:33:46

Thanks. I know the old owners didn't have any pets, but that's no guarantee there aren't bugs. It never occurred to me that it could be from an insect.

I haven't seen any fleas around, and neither kitty has any hair, so I know they aren't living on them, but I guess I will just have to find a local vet and get her checked over. I've been waiting on a reference from her breed association for someone who is familiar with them, but so far no response.

(any good vet would be great for internal stuff, since that's same, but for a skin condition I really don't want my girl to be the first sphynx the vet has ever seen)

I suppose I will just have to start calling them all grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now