Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I can't cope with my rabbits anymore :(

(7 Posts)
GoldenSnitch Mon 03-Aug-09 13:58:53

I've had rabbits ever since uni. Always two together and always the most spoiled bunnies in the world...

But now, with a 2 and a half year old and another on the way, I'm finding I can't cop with them anymore.

DH is not very supportive. Hates cleaning out and they always become 'my' rabbits when it needs to be done, even though we got the two we have now together. They have a huge, 2 storey hutch and a big run with grass to munch on but I think they must be bored as one of them in particular keeps trying to burrow out!

They used to be such snuggleable rabbits but as DS has gotten bigger and demanded more and more of my time, they've spent more and more time on thier own and don't like being picked up anymore They're still huge softies though and have never bitten or kicked anyone. Even when DS gets hold of an ear, they just sit there and wait for him to let go.

It doesn't help that I have low blood pressure with this pregnancy too so have spent most of my time since the morning sickness lifted, feeling sick and dizzy. I just have no energy once I've dealt with DS and my housework is suffering too.

I offered them to a friend of my sisters MIL. Said she could have the cage and run - everything if she could look after them better than me but she pulled out when she decided I lived too far away for her to come and collect them.

I feel awful. I adore my bunnies and I truely meant the RSPCA declaration that I signed when I picked them up to say that I would look after them till the day they died but I really can't do it anymore...

They currently need a cleanout but DS has a virus and is clingy and miserable and I'm feeling grotty and I just can't face it right now.

What do I do?

Bella21 Mon 03-Aug-09 15:38:04

Is there a clause in your agreement with the RSPCA that the rabbits have to go back to them if you choose to rehome?

GoldenSnitch Mon 03-Aug-09 15:51:36

Just checked the form and it does say that. They're so busy though, it's forever in the paper how they have too many animals, I thought I might be doing them and the bunnies a favour if I found a good home for them.

GoldenSnitch Tue 04-Aug-09 14:04:03

Should I phone the RSPCA then?

I really am not sure what's best to do?

Bella21 Tue 04-Aug-09 17:24:19

If you cannot clean them out then yes.

In this weather they can quickly become infested with maggots.

sullysmum Tue 04-Aug-09 19:04:37

Where abouts are you?

GoldenSnitch Tue 04-Aug-09 21:55:17

Buckinghamshire.

I know about fly strike, they're usually treated with Rear Guard - I feel guilty enough already.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now