Talk

Advanced search

Cat flap recommendations please...

(7 Posts)
bella21 Sun 02-Aug-09 21:45:47

..dh has finally agreed to install a catflap grin

Is there one which is easier for the cats to open than others? Mine have never used one and did not take well to a litter tray with flap on it wink

Not worried about other cats coming in, given presence of 3 large dogs.

Many thanks...

TimothyTigerTuppennyTail Sun 02-Aug-09 21:48:08

We have a Staywell lockable one, which they deal with fine.

They still prefer to miaow at the door if someone's there though!

Spidermama Sun 02-Aug-09 21:51:25

The available ones all seem to be pretty similarly shit IME. The magnets aren#t strong enough so the wind blows them open etc.

My DS punched the cat flap out of the door on day one of the summer holidays and I am currently searching for another. The Pet shop have a pretty poor range.

beautifulgirls Sun 02-Aug-09 22:23:25

I use the staywell ones - not too expensive to buy and never had a problem with one getting broken. Not too hard to install either.
If you are worried about other cats coming in but magnets getting lost then you may want to consider a microchip cat flap - it will read the chip in a cat and only let permitted code cats in the house. They are not all that cheap though and I cant vouch for how easy they are for the cats or whether they cause problems to any cats actually getting in and out. (petporte I think are the manufacturer of these)

bella21 Sun 02-Aug-09 22:29:15

Thanks, everyone - I've been looking at the Staywell 4 way one (I like to have them all locked in at bedtime wink).

Beautifulgirls - yes, I've seen the microchip one and it looks good but with 3 big dogs on the premises we don't get many visiting cats wink Either that or they know I would be likely to kidnap them <mad cat collecting emoticon>

Thanks again everyone.

madusa Mon 03-Aug-09 09:47:00

Staywell seem to be the market leader bit i found that they break very, very easily. I never never managed top make one last longer than a year!

I now have a catwalk one and it is proving to be very robust!

They are just as easy to use as a staywell and my 4 month old kittens have worked it out fine.

Bella21 Mon 03-Aug-09 11:04:45

Oooh - interesting, madusa: thank you.

Suspect your 4 month kittens are much brighter than my cats though grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now