Talk

Advanced search

Going to see a kitten tomorrow, got a question to ask

(10 Posts)
Linnet Sun 02-Aug-09 20:22:07

The lady from the cats protection league phoned today to say that they have a kitten that may be suitable for us.

I phoned the lady who has the cat to arrange going to see him and she said that he is a white cat and he's 10 months old, very friendly and adorable. She also said that the only reason he hasn't been rehomed before now is because he's a white cat and people don't want white cats.

Is there any reason why people don't want white cats? Is there something I should know?
Do you have a white cat or know of any?

Thanks

PestoMonster Sun 02-Aug-09 20:23:24

White cats are often deaf, especially if they have blue eyes. It wouldn't bother me, but it might affect other people's decisions.

choufleur Sun 02-Aug-09 20:23:28

I've got a white cat with black markings (a bit like a fresian cow). the only problems is the hair shows up on everything.

cookielove Sun 02-Aug-09 20:23:44

maybe cause you can see the dirt more easily, or for the fact you will very clearly be able to see where they moult (SP?) is it long hair or short hair?

thisisyesterday Sun 02-Aug-09 20:23:47

do they not have a propensity to deafness? or is that just dogs?

anyway it probably isn't that, it's probably because white cat hair shows up on everything!!

Linnet Sun 02-Aug-09 20:28:33

She said it was short hair, not long hair, she said he's very long and sleek body wise with short hair.

I did wonder about the deafness as I'd read that once before.

TheInvisibleManDidIt Sun 02-Aug-09 20:37:42

I have a white cat (well she has a couple of dark brown marks)- no deafness atall.

She's always had a slight problem with getting sore eyes- they go a bit red and weepy, but the vet gives her drops when that happens and she's fine.

She's shorthair, and leaves no more hair around than our wee tortoise-shell does.

She's a great big softie, brilliant with the boys (had her before them)and always ready to give cuddles.

beautifulgirls Sun 02-Aug-09 22:20:58

Not all white cats are deaf, but yes some are. You should also put sun cream on their ears as they have a susceptibility to skin cancer on them if they spend time outside in the sun. It is a long term thing and does require you to catch the cat and apply it regularly but even getting it done most days rather than every day will go a long way to helping prevention.

I guess people perhaps do not like the look of white cats as much as other colours perhaps sad but I would say there is no real reason not to give a white cat a home if you like it and are suitably set up to own a cat - and you sound like you are smile

TimothyTigerTuppennyTail Sun 02-Aug-09 22:25:30

Suncream doesn't work. My (mainly) white cat loves lying out in the sun but washes suncream off.

Worries me sick half the time.

Linnet Sun 02-Aug-09 23:13:26

I didn't realise that you'd need to put suncreen on a white cat!

I've never had a cat before can you tell?

We're going to go along and see the cat and meet him and see what we think. The lady didn't mention if he was deaf or not, surely they would know by now and she would have mentioned if he was? We live next to a road you see so I'd be worried about him being out and about if he was deaf.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now