Talk

Advanced search

Picking up our new puppy next week.....never had a pup before....could I have a puppy shopping list and a few tips please?

(21 Posts)
immortalbeloved Sat 01-Aug-09 14:52:20

I am very excited grin

But slightly overwhelmed too blush

We are very used to dogs and have had several, but I've never had a puppy ('tis something of a necessity this time... long story!)

So what do we need before we pick her up? Any any tips to make the first few days/weeks go a little smoother?

Thank you in advance smile

newpup Sat 01-Aug-09 15:10:14

Obvious stuff - water/food bowl, bedding (nothing expensive as most pups eat their first bed!)lots of toys.

Crate
newspaper or puppy pads if you want to use them
anti-chew spray
old towels to dry pup from the rain
rag or such that smells of mum for first few nights
treats for house training

Check garden for any escape routes and fix.

Buckets of patience!!

Have lots of fun! smile

newpup Sat 01-Aug-09 15:12:49

Also check which food she/he is eating at breeders and get some. If changing to a new food, this needs to be done gradually to avoid upsetting delicate tums.

Find out when breeder last wormed her and when she needs worming again.

Book with vet for first course of vaccs if not already done!

smile

newpup Sat 01-Aug-09 15:14:14

whoops forgot puppy collar and lead.

Although they can not go out for a while, until after vaccs done, you can get her used to the lead in the garden, will make it much easier when you do go out!

spugs Sat 01-Aug-09 15:28:28

Huge quantites of paper towels and simple solution to clean up the huge amounts of liquid poo the puppy produces during and after the journey home (brought our 8 week old home yesterday and there was poo everywhere!)

A crate
spare bedding (due to reasons above)
basic grooming kit - brush and nail clippers
toys
collar and name tags
food - same as breeder
puppy pads
vets appointment
lots of time and patience

BrigitBigKnickers Sat 01-Aug-09 15:37:52

Have a radio handy so you can put it on low in the place where the pup is to sleep as this is supposed to make them feel less lonely.

bella21 Sat 01-Aug-09 15:48:39

Toy rotation chart. Ask newpup - she's an expert grin

newpup Sat 01-Aug-09 17:13:56

Ha ha bella.

grin

morethanyoubargainfor Sat 01-Aug-09 17:29:06

small alarm clock and hot water bottle!

wrap them in a blanket or jumper together and put in pups bed when sleeping, she will love the heat from the bottle and the ticking from the clock helps them to settle as it it a similar sound to mothers heart beat (apparently).

Oh and a camera so you can take and share piccys with us grin

bella21 Sat 01-Aug-09 17:29:31

<tries (unsuccessfully) to look innocent>

No, seriously, should you wish to be a proper puppy owner and Do Things Properly, you will find than an excel spreadsheet of puppy's toys will help immensely.

Actually, I'm a bit lax. Mine is handwritten shock.

bella21 Sat 01-Aug-09 17:31:01

And many congrats, btw.

My tip is to kiss their lovely soft puppy tummies as often as you can before they turn into 35kg brutes grin

spugs Sat 01-Aug-09 17:46:15

Mine is going to turn into a 7 lb ankle nipper grin

bella21 Sat 01-Aug-09 17:52:52

One of my cats is heavier than that, spugs grin

Congratulations, though grin

immortalbeloved Sat 01-Aug-09 18:51:39

Mine will be a 70kg whopper bella grin

Thanks so much for all the tips everyone, I really appreciate it

I am mix of excited and nervous at the moment grin but I'm sure we'll be fine, I'm just very concious of wanting to do everything properly iyswim

and on that note.....is a puppy crate essential? I've heard them talked about and I can underdtand why they'd be useful, but do we have to get one do you think?

bella21 Sat 01-Aug-09 21:03:56

70 kg? Swiss Mountain Dog? Newfie? Tell, please grin

bella21 Sat 01-Aug-09 21:04:30

Would put puppy crate top on the list, tbh.

immortalbeloved Sat 01-Aug-09 22:56:28

mastiff grin my boy dog is already over 70kg grin

So a puppy crate is essential then? Ok great thanks I shall add it to my list, do they have to sleep in them all night? Is it ok to have it in the bedroom? Sorry for all the questions blush

bella21 Sun 02-Aug-09 11:45:57

Oh wow. Fantastic dogs grin

I'd definitely get a crate. Makes house training easier and gives you a safe place to put pup when you can't watch them. Also gives pup a nice cosy den for much needed sleep/naps wink

You can put the crate in your room if you want, by all means. I have 2 existing dogs and put my new pup in our room for the first couple of nights, then she went into the kitchen with the other dogs and jumps into her crate very happily.

If you decide to use puppy training pads, check out the Boots Staydry bed mats - only £2.99 for 10, a lot cheaper than specific pet ones.

Very best of luck wink

pagwatch Sun 02-Aug-09 12:24:50

Hide all your nice shoes ismy top tip.

<<pag has nightmare flashbacks to the FIVE pairs of beautiful( and expensive) kitten heel shoes that Angus chewed through having ignored hundreds of pairs of snargelly old trainners and garden shoes. Grrrr>>

bella21 Sun 02-Aug-09 13:07:59

ouch! grin

fairimum Sun 02-Aug-09 15:42:42

crates are essential for over night and when out!! stop them having accidents (as long as not left too long!) as they see it as their own little bed (put bed in crate) - we move crate whereever we are to start with) but always carry pup from crate to garden to do a week (to save for accidents on the way!!)

simple solution is a must have - pets at home sell it and is the best thing for getting rid of the scent etc of any accidents!

I would skip the training pads (as just have to train them to use the garden anyway) and go straight to taking them out in the garden every half hour or so for the first few days, with lots of praise when perform, then just watching closely and taking out after food, when wake up, after playing etc!

good luck and have fun xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now