Talk

Advanced search

I am in bits because one of our gerbils died this morning....

(7 Posts)
musicposy Tue 28-Jul-09 17:54:18

....and I feel stupid for feeling so upset.

He was just over 2, I didn't think that was very old as the pet shops say 2 -4, but the vet said he's never seen a 4 year old and 2 was about right.

He was just lying there last night, we couldn't do much for him but he obviously wasn't at all right, was very cold and still and breathing very fast. He made it through the night, though, so we optimistically took him to the vet, who said he thought he was going into organ failure as he was hypothemic and it would be better to have him put to sleep than prolong it as he wasn't going to make it. I asked if definitely nothing could be done and he said no. So we agreed and left him there.

Now I can't stop crying, I keep thinking I should have just left him in his cage instead of taking him and leaving him to die in a strange place. Also we did have one once who got ill and cold once and we nursed him on a hot water bottle and he survived, so I keep wondering what if we had tried harder9although he was younger). I know I only did what I thought best at the time, and he could have had a long drawn out death which would have been worse.

But I am still in such a state and then I think I must be a mad woman, getting so upset over a gerbil.sadI just wonder if I should have done things differently and I think this is why I keep crying. sad

wannaBe Tue 28-Jul-09 17:59:49

aw sad

You are not being silly.

Our budgie died just over a week ago and I was in pieces over that too - actually had a sleepless night over it blush although it wasn't helped by the fact that he was killed by our cat. shock

claricebeansmum Tue 28-Jul-09 18:03:00

I was in pieces when our hamster have had to make the one way visit to the vet. It is so hard but if they are really ill then you are doing the right thing in putting them out of their misery. He might have been in pain and it wouldn't have been good to prolong it. You gave him a good and happy life.

musicposy Tue 28-Jul-09 18:17:39

I'm glad it's not just me! Thanks for that, both of you

He had a fantastic tank, really big, lots to do, lots of attention, so I should think about that....and I guess be grateful that it wasn't our cat that got him (which I could see how it could happen)

wannaBe Tue 28-Jul-09 18:21:19

I consoled ds with the fact that the budgie had a lovely life, lots of freedom etc, although I did beat myself up over the fact that the cat got him, as I have always been so so so careful when letting my birds out (I have an african grey parrot too) and it was one moment when a door got left open for no more than 30 seconds. sad sad sad

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 28-Jul-09 18:23:25

Oh no, poor you. sad

I cried when 2 of our hamsters died so you are not alone. One had to be put down and I bawled my eyes out in the shop. (they have a vet's there too.)

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Tue 28-Jul-09 21:49:37

You poor thing.
Losing any pet is horrible. He was lucky to have such a caring owner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now